Assistant Vice President, Transportation
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: The Assistant Vice President will be responsible for developing and executing projects in NYCEDC’s Aviation and Freight portfolios.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide expert policy and project development to promote fixed-wing aviation facilities in NYC at JFK International Airport and LaGuardia Airport.
- Execute planning for the Downtown Manhattan and East 34th Street Heliports and Seaplanes at EDC’s Skyport facility at Stuyvesant Cove.
- Support helicopter complaint process and coordination with 311 office.
- Coordinate and guide legislation and rulemaking related to the Aviation Industry and represent agency at official forums or hearings.
- Serve as primary coordinator for issues related to the NYC Municipal Airports Lease including but not limited to approvals for use of off-terminal property, lease amendments, and other related assignments.
- Oversee and coordinate Airport Board activities with the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey.
- Examine the potential for development on sites adjacent to or near the City’s aviation assets.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams facilitating freight initiatives that improve options for NYC shippers, reduce truck and auto dependency, improve last-mile freight mobility, modernize distribution facilities, promote clean energy technologies in freight transportation, and promote environmental justice to minimize impacts on vulnerable communities.
- Guide deeper understanding of the City’s freight infrastructure and the federal, state and local policies related to supply chain and freight transportation modes.
- Conduct transportation studies to assess ways that freight movement can be improved in the context of improving overall traffic flow and safety.
- Establish and oversee interagency and interdepartmental working groups on select projects, meeting frequently to move projects forward and address challenges.
- Craft and manage public outreach processes in conjunction with the External Affairs Department.
- Represent EDC while building and maintaining relationships with governmental and quasi-governmental entities such as industry, civic and community, cultural, professional, and advocacy organizations.
- Seek funding and grant programs available for transportation and freight.
- Articulate a vision for and evaluate the feasibility of future development based on sound planning principles and market realities.
- Procure and oversee consultant services and manage complex planning projects.
- Develop implementation strategies for interim and long-term uses.
- Support PortNYC programs and projects with EDC’s Asset Management Department.
- Lead or support planning and policy projects for other EDC transportation efforts such as NYC Ferry, mass transit, pedestrian and biking, and transportation’s intersection with the range of EDC’s economic development efforts, including land use, asset, and infrastructure development, public policy and coordination, and industry initiatives.
- Other projects and tasks as assigned; other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, real estate, public policy, transportation, logistics, economic development or related field with a Master’s degree preferred.
- Three years of professional experience in transportation, economic or community planning and development, or equivalent is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and analytical skills.
- Strong understanding and interest in urban planning, transportation planning, infrastructure and economic development issues.
- Strong understanding of and experience with the technical aspects of the public planning and development process, preferably specific to NYC.
- Demonstrated expertise in project management.
- Strong entrepreneurial and leadership ability and public speaking skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire.
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
- Five years’ experience with transportation policy or planning agency or group and/or private firm dealing with planning and project/policy/program development for aviation, freight, supply chain and public transit.
- Demonstrated experience working with local communities on large-scale development plans.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.