Senior Policy Analyst, Government & Community Relations
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs
Internal Title: Senior Project Manager
Position Overview: The Senior Policy Analyst reports to the Senior Vice President of the Government and Community Relations (GovCo). This person supports the GovCo team by reviewing City, State, and Federal policy efforts that impact the work of the Economic Development Corporation. The Senior Policy Analyst will work closely with GovCo staff including the AVP of Legislative Affairs and be responsible for researching legislative and policy issues, drafting policy memos and recommendations to advise EDC Leadership, supporting the preparation for City, State, Federal meetings & hearings, and supporting the creation and implementation of engagement strategies to advocate for legislative efforts important to the agency. The Senior Policy Analyst will also be assigned special projects, as needed, and will work in collaboration with other departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research, interpret, and analyze legislation, laws, and policies that impact NYCEDC and/or significantly impact critical sectors of the economy.
- Work with GovCo staff to draft policy memos and briefings for EDC Senior Staff
- Support GovCo leadership in the preparation of materials for elected officials, appropriate staff within various legislative bodies, and the City, State and Federal Legislative Affairs teams of the administration to understand the rationale, goals, and impact of legislation on NYCEDC operations, policies and procedures.
- Regularly collaborate with various divisions at NYCEDC to understand the impact of various pieces of legislation on agency, administration, external institutions, businesses, and the City’s diverse workforce.
- Support in the preparation for legislative hearings and other public events by analyzing and understanding the relevant bill, resolution, or oversight topic, reviewing written testimony, Q&A, and preparing briefing documents for agency leadership.
- Draft engagement strategies that include, at a minimum, (1) an assessment of relevant advocates and stakeholders (2) suggested messaging and talking points (3) analysis of policy impacts on various stakeholders and (4) ideas to build coalition to support EDC’s policy goals
- Support GovCo’s efforts to build consensus internally and externally to build support around various policies, legislation and/or procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 5-6 years of experience working in policy analysis and research. Experience working within interdisciplinary teams
- Knowledge of current elected officials, public agencies, and/or community-organizations
- A minimum of two years of work experience
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong statutory, research and analysis skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized individual.
- Background in industry initiatives, transportation, financing, and/or land use policy.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adjust priorities, as necessary.
- Strong knowledge of the City, State and Federal legislative process
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Bachelor’s degree required in public policy, urban policy, or law preferred
- New York City residency (required within 180 days of hire)
Salary Range: $75,000 - $77,000
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Diversity, Equity, and Social Responsibility Mission is to create a People First strategy by attracting, retaining, and engaging a diverse and talented workforce. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees' talents.
To help build an inclusive workplace culture, NYCEDC supports six employee resource groups that strive to engage members and advocate for their respective communities within NYCEDC. Those groups are: Accessibility group, Elevation group (BIPOC), Mindful group, Out/EDC group (LGBTQAI+), Parents group and Women's Leadership group. NYCEDC employees work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive team where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected, and have an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.