Assistant Vice President, Operations - Life Sciences & Health Care
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Life Sciences & Health Care Team: With its deep and diverse talent pool, network of premier academic medical centers, lab space, and access to National Institutes of Health and venture funding, New York City has emerged as a major center of life sciences innovation. Now is the time to build on these strengths and invest in the spaces, companies, and talent that will create life-saving cures and treatments, while catalyzing new economic opportunities for the people of this city. Life sciences will continue to play an integral role in creating healthier NYC communities and a stronger economy for all. As the industry continues to mature, the City is committed to investing in early-stage discoveries, furthering development of life sciences spaces, and creating more equitable health outcomes for communities.
A $1 billion investment in life sciences research and development (R&D) and related innovation, LifeSci NYC is expected to create nearly 40,000 new jobs over the next ten years — many accessible to New Yorkers without advanced degrees. NYCEDC is committed to growing the ecosystem in New York City, with a specific focus on:
- Connecting existing researchers and institutions to the resources needed to advance programs to commercialization
- Unlocking space for life sciences companies to grow within the city
- Building a pipeline for the talent and workforce needed to support these companies across the five boroughs
In addition to a large focus on LifeSci NYC, in response to learning throughout the pandemic, NYCEDC has expanded its efforts with some focus on strengthening NYC’s long term health infrastructure and establishing NYC as a global leader in public health training, research, and management.
Position Overview: The AVP – Operations, LSHC assists the Senior Vice President of Life Science and Healthcare on special projects across the LSHC portfolio to ensure proper internal governance, operations, and communications across the LSHC, Initiatives, and NYCEDC teams as well as to jointly lead with External Affairs key business development projects to support the LSHC team’s vision for NYC to be a leader in Life Sciences. In addition, the AVP – Operations will play a key role in managing the LifeSci NYC Advisory Council, a key group of industry and academic advisors, and coordination with City Hall and other agencies on LSHC growth activity as needed. Particular tasks may also include representing the SVP at meetings when required and appropriate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership and guidance re: systems and processes for collaborative, highly effective outcomes across teams:
- Work with SVP to foster a thriving team culture via LSHC, Initiatives, or EDC activities.
- Facilitates the Life Sciences Forum, a cross-portfolio governance structure that is agenda driven and focused on key decision milestones and project updates for LSHC with all relevant departments and PO teams.
- Tracks the Life Sciences and Healthcare portfolio budget within the context of the broader EDC sources of funding or financial support.
- Oversees Business Development program strategy and execution with extended team of LSHC, Partnerships, External Affairs, and external partners or third parties, including:
- Market development strategy for Life Sciences in NYC over time.
- Cadence of milestones, announcements, press/social campaign with EA and team.
- Industry engagement activities such as sponsorship and presenting at conferences (e.g., JPM, BIO), panels, roundtables, company engagement.
- Supporting development of additional external presentations and talking points for PO or SVP where appropriate, in coordination with EA.
- Website or other channel management.
- Manages activities to develop clear understanding of the Life Sciences landscape in NYC (benchmarking companies, updating qualitative survey biannually, evaluating strengths/weaknesses, benchmarking progress and relative to other jurisdictions).
- Coordinates and actively manages the Life Sciences Advisory Council meetings and relationships, subcommittees, or other activities as part of Market Development plan, with oversight by SVP
- Manages critical issues or questions, often identified by SVP, that require team’s urgent attention from PO, EA, or City Hall. Coordination and oversight with SVP likely depending on parties involved.
- Represent as appropriate given level and necessary, the SVP, at internal or external meetings and events.
- Contribute to personal, team, and department professional development and culture activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5-8+ years of relevant work experience (e.g., biotechnology companies, operations and project management, consulting firm, investment banking, strategic planning, program design and execution, partnership management) including experience managing cross-functional teams, operations, and interfacing with many levels of staff and leadership.
- MBA, MPH, or Masters Degree or higher in a Life Sciences and/or Healthcare specific field or similar amount of experience in the sector preferred.
- Proven experience and comfort interfacing with senior officials and leaders in the public and private sectors.
- Demonstrated track record of leading, managing, and executing projects at top-tier organizations.
- Outstanding relationship management, communications (written and verbal) and presentations skills.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and maintaining productive working relationships with internal and external clients and parties, including successful cross-functional collaboration on highly complex projects with multiple perspectives.
- Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions.
- Demonstrated accountability, drive, and track record for delivering results.
- Willingness to listen, collect data and find paths to solutions including cutting through red tape.
- Ability to build client-ready presentation/communication materials as well as budget tracking models.
- New York City residency (required within 180 days of hire).
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.