Vice President, Design & Construction
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Design & Construction Team within NYCEDC’s Asset Management division oversees the development process - capital planning, design and construction - of NYCEDC’s assets across all five boroughs of New York City. The portfolio includes commercial real estate properties as well as transportation, port assets, critical infrastructure, and energy assets. The overall assets are divided into multiple portfolios, each managed by a Vice President. The division-wide portfolio encompasses property types including those that are standard in the real estate industry (retail, commercial, industrial), port assets (NYC Ferry, NY Cruise, rail, maritime and aviation) as well as assets particular to the public sector (public retail and wholesale markets, Broadway and non-profit theaters, and affordable industrial and commercial campuses). The annual cash flow of the AMO Capital Projects division is over $500M, with a 3-year capital plan of nearly $1.5B. The division oversees over a hundred active projects. Project scopes range from build-to-suit and build-to-spec ground-up developments to value-add asset repositioning, as well as tenant improvements and interior fit-outs.
Your Role: Reporting to the Senior Vice President, the Vice President (VP) leads the development process – capital planning, design, and construction - of multiple real estate assets that NYCEDC will subsequently maintain and/or operate. The position is responsible for identifying and mitigating the risks inherent in building innovative and complex projects. The VP is NYCEDC’s primary interface with and manager of the AEC team – architecture, engineering, and construction – and provides oversight over all phases of work, from procurement and preconstruction to project close-out.
- Capital Planning:
- Develop long-term capital plans and annual expense budgets for NYCEDC’s portfolio of assets.
- Asset Development:
- Work closely with the Asset Management leasing team to ensure the program of the asset is aligned with both policy and market/tenant needs.
- Deliver bespoke and forward-thinking design projects on schedule and on budget.
- Oversee all phases of development, from procurement of the architecture, engineering and construction team to existing conditions assessments, programming, feasibility studies, estimating and budgeting, schematic design through construction documentation, regulatory submissions, bidding, construction, and project close-out.
- Interdepartmental Coordination:
- Interface with and coordinate the various departments at NYCEDC to ensure that the relevant expertise is brought to bear on each project.
- Management & Communication:
- Provide oversight and mentorship of junior and intermediate project managers on the team.
- Presents to internal and external stakeholders including elected officials and City Hall, business owners, prospective and existing tenants, community groups, and other agencies.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience in architecture, construction, real estate development, owner’s representation or a related field
- Demonstrated experience managing projects from start to finish, leading projects through ambiguity, and galvanizing resources from various teams in concerted action
- Demonstrated ability leading teams and developing and mentoring staff
- Outstanding relationship management, communications (written and verbal) and presentations skills
- Demonstrated track record of developing and maintaining productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficiency and experience with construction, building management and maintenance software preferred
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must obtain/maintain New York City residency within 180 days of hire
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.