Vice President, Emerging Tech
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Initiatives Department within NYCEDC seeks to understand the rapidly changing landscape of NYC’s key economic sectors and develop and implement innovative initiatives that address specific challenges and opportunities in them.
Initiatives as a department creates, launches and manages portfolios of projects that partner with and impact the following industries and sectors: media, tech (e.g. AR/VR, cybersecurity, AI, Blockchain), urban innovation & sustainability, life sciences, healthcare, fashion & design, and industrial & manufacturing. Initiatives projects are agile, strategic and impact focused.
Position Overview: The Vice President of Creative & Applied Tech will join NYCEDC’s industry Initiatives Department, responsible for creating and implementing economic development programs, engaging the private sector, government, and academic leadership to grow key strategic industries, ensure New York City remains a global leader in innovation and technology (“tech”) and that these opportunities are accessible to all New Yorkers. The Vice President of Creative & Applied Tech is responsible for assisting in creating and implementing a tech strategy and related programs focused on economic development. These strategies can include both ongoing and pre-launch projects including cybersecurity, broadband, VR/AR, blockchain, artificial intelligence and big data, space tech commercialization, quantum computing, and others. The right person should have expertise in building tech programs at scale, specifically those focused on cybersecurity and broadband and can act as a generalist who can be flexible and adapt to opportunities to develop an economic growth strategy for an equitable and diverse tech ecosystem in New York City. The position also requires being creative with limited resources. This is a critical role within the industry Initiatives team at NYCEDC and is a unique opportunity to help lead a team, provide thought leadership, create initiatives that grow jobs, and deliver tangible impact in NYC. The VP will report to the SVP of Creative & Applied Tech.
- Work with Creative & Applied Tech team to organize roundtables, 1:1s and ecosystem events.
- Help lead current and new programmatic initiatives to drive innovation and inclusive growth in tech sectors. Maximize the impact and scale of current programs in these sectors.
- Develop tech strategies with the SVP, including but not limited to, cybersecurity and broadband, as well as artificial intelligence and overarching tech strategies in the City.
- Provide direction and management to project teams in framing problems and identifying key issues/questions.
- Provide direction for development of project work plans, including study scope, timelines, specific analyses to be completed, and individual responsibilities.
- Oversee project teams, and the work of external consultants/partners as needed.
- Provide direction in development of program recommendations, ensuring they are feasible impactful, and coordinated within and across teams
- Be creative with limited resources, and proactively identify and pursue funding opportunities through grants, philanthropies, and other means.
- Oversee the creation of and deliver PowerPoint presentations or memos for key stakeholders (e.g., NYCEDC senior staff, City Hall, external partners).
- Work within the Initiatives department, across other NYCEDC departments and with City Hall to coordinate needed reporting.
- Maintain, develop, and expand NYCEDC’s relationships with private sector partners, particularly leaders in the tech ecosystem, academic institutions, and private funding entities. Form strategic collaborations with these partners to develop and drive results within NYCEDC and across city government.
- Engage NYCEDC executives, leaders from partner organizations and City Hall on critical outreach and policy advocacy matters. Promote a collaborative, high performing organizational culture that fosters passion for our mission, program excellence, teamwork, and a shared purpose.
- As needed, serve as spokesperson, representative, and ambassador of the Creative & Applied Tech programs to a wide variety of constituencies.
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong advanced communication skills (written, oral communication and presentation skills).
- Entrepreneurial and leadership ability; organized and results oriented.
- 8+yrs relevant work experience, including managing operations, growing teams, and providing strategic leadership experience in a demanding analytic environment.
- Strong track record in converting ideas into action plans and driving results.
- Extensive project management experience including ability to manage projects against tight timelines and apply a collaborative style that works well in teams and empowers staff.
- Deep understanding of the tech sector.
- Able to look at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions.
- Ability to facilitate constructive debate and effectively negotiate, persuade, and reach consensus.
- Able to attract, hire, develop, and retain top talent.
- Managing people and investing in staff, including providing professional development guidance.
- Prioritizes effectively among competing needs and opportunities and manage multiple projects at the same time.
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.