Senior Vice President, Strategy
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: The Senior Vice President (SVP) of Strategy will oversee NYCEDC’s Strategy Department, responsible for delivering objective, data-driven solutions for NYCEDC and the City by pursuing a collaborative, hypothesis-driven approach with oversight of the department’s full portfolio of projects. The SVP will be responsible for managing a team of approximately 10 staff members. Responsibilities include overseeing work around structuring of workplans and documents; attending key meetings with executive clients within the NYCEDC and at City Hall; and providing coaching and support to the Strategy team for technical and professional development.
The Strategy Department broadly work on five types of projects:
- Advisory and project management: The Strategy Department provides thought leadership and project management support on a range of cross-departmental, cross-agency projects (e.g., the “New York Works” jobs plan and other citywide plans on housing, career pathways, etc).
- New initiative ideation and diligence: The Strategy Department takes the lead on identifying new opportunities for city investment and conducts research to assess the viability of specific programs that the investment could take (e.g., cybersecurity initiative).
- Operational improvements: The Strategy Department works with other EDC and City project teams to solve a problem, fine-tune an approach, or help improve operational outcomes of existing City projects (e.g., how to achieve the Mayor’s artist housing goal, how to improve logistics for our tenants on EDC-operated assets).
- Procurement: The Strategy Department manages a retainer of strategy and topic area consultants for our projects, other EDC departments, and other city agencies. We help ensure successful outcomes with these consultants by representing the City point of view and helping bridge the perspectives of the consultants with those of City stakeholders.
- Organizational Strategy, Capacity Building & Change Management: The Strategy Department supports the EDC President’s Office and Senior Leadership in several organization-wide efforts such as setting of overall priorities and goals and exploring new business areas. That work and other efforts require the Strategy Department to create tools and resources that improve organizational effectiveness (e.g., EDC-wide trainings on project management or pitch deck creation). We also support with organization-wide strategic planning and goal setting exercises.
- Provide direction and management to both the Strategy team and other teams (across EDC and the City) to deliver client-ready, data driven solutions to complex problems,
- Oversee a portfolio of projects to tight timelines and prioritize effectively on an ongoing basis
- Develop and guide the creation of project work plans, including project scope, timelines, specific analyses to be completed, and individual responsibilities for team members.
- Oversee project teams as they conduct independent research and expert interviews, data gathering and analysis, and financial modeling.
- Oversee the creation and delivery of PowerPoint presentations or memos for key stakeholders (e.g. EDC senior staff, City Hall, external partners).
- Build relationships with key stakeholders across the organization and other city agencies to support the team’s objectives and outcomes
- Identify new opportunities for the Strategy team to engage with other teams across the organization and other city agencies.
- Work with executives at EDC and City Hall to present recommendations and provide strategic guidance
- Communicate in a way that is sensitive to different audiences and present information and recommendations in a clear, concise manner.
- Anticipate critical path items to ensure timely progress and coordinate with other department heads and City officials regarding major project issues and challenges.
- Monitor team’s performance; provide coaching and feedback to team members on an ongoing basis, and ensure team’s performance supports and enhances organizational objectives.
- Create a culture within the group that supports professional development and career growth.
- Promote a collaborative, high performing organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, program excellence, teamwork, and a shared purpose.
- Communicate effectively and inclusively at all levels of the organization.
- As needed, serve as spokesperson, representative, and ambassador of the department to a wide variety of constituencies.
- Effectively manage department budget, staff resource allocation, and associated department leadership tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and at least 10+ years of relevant work experience, including managing operations, growing teams, and providing strategic leadership in a demanding and analytic environment.
- Strong entrepreneurial and leadership ability.
- Experience supporting and guiding projects directly for C-Suite or similar Principals.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills, comfortable building financial models and working with data sets.
- Proven experience orchestrating change management projects at an organizational level.
- Enterprising and resourceful, organized and results oriented.
- Strong track record in converting nascent ideas into effective and impactful programs.
- Extensive project management experience including ability to set up the problem, manage projects against tight timelines, and apply a proactive, inclusive, and collaborative style that works well in teams and empowers staff.
- Able to look at the big picture and provide insightful, creative solutions.
- Flexible and adaptable communication style
- Ability to facilitate constructive debate and effectively negotiate, persuade, and reach consensus.
- Able to attract, hire, develop, and retain top talent.
- Enjoys managing people and investing in staff, including providing guidance on professional development .
- Able to prioritize effectively among competing needs and opportunities and manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Consults and works effectively across a wide range of professions and areas of expertise.
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire.
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.