Client Manager, Business Development, Partnerships
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and equitable economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: The Client Manager of Business Development will be responsible for coordinating EDC’s business attraction, expansion, and retention efforts with support from EDC’s Director of Business Development. This includes prospecting, servicing, and winning business development opportunities that align with NYCEDC’s policy goals (e.g., sector growth in tech, life science, green energy, etc.) and creates/retains accessible jobs for New Yorkers.
To do this work, the PM will coordinate with various departments within EDC, other City and state agencies, local economic development entities (e.g., BIDs, Chambers, LDCs, etc.), and the private sector to develop customized proposals that address the needs and presents exciting opportunities to targeted business development leads. S/he will be staffed on multiple projects, thus should have the ability to manage several projects against tight timelines.
This is an excellent opportunity for a business-savvy professional to build out a new business development unit at EDC and play a leading role in New York City’s business development efforts. This position is ideal for professionals driven to create positive impact for New York City’s people, businesses, and innovation ecosystem.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Attracting and retaining mid to large sized businesses by working directly with prospects to understand needs and develop solutions to those needs (e.g., office space, workforce development programs, financial solutions, etc.).
- Assess “client” needs and alignment with EDC’s programmatic objectives and financing incentives; identify and develop responsive strategies to secure expansion or relocation to the city
- Develop proposals and pitch decks for internal audiences and “clients”
- Manage pipeline of business development leads using CRM tools and KPIs
- Contribute to internal strategy to grow business development program to include external marketing
- Develop a monthly newsletter for existing NYC large business aimed at facilitating partnerships and helping them grow
- Build relationships across NYCEDC and external stakeholders, creating awareness of EDC programs and initiatives, and identifying mutually beneficial collaboration opportunities.
- Develop project plans at the beginning of a project and create work plans that include specific analyses, project scope, timelines, individual responsibilities, etc.
- Create and deliver presentations, memorandums and other materials that effectively communicate project recommendations and/or findings to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders)
- Partner with leaders and colleagues across EDC departments including but not limited to External Affairs, Initiatives, Strategy, Strategic Investments, and Legal to develop marketing collateral, partnership strategies, and increase brand awareness.
- As needed, organize EDC’s participation in local and domestic events and conferences
- Bachelor's degree required
- 3-4+ years of relevant experience, including business development, international trade, and/or economic development
- Experience managing complex stakeholder relationships using CRM tools (e.g., Salesforce, MS Dynamics) is a plus
- Exceptional business writing and communications skills are required, including public speaking
- Strong ability to build relationships and consensus
- Energetic, proactive, collaborative, and strategically oriented
- Proven competency in use of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and primary databases such as Microsoft Dynamics
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
Position Funding: This position is funded by International Business Development funds provided by external funding. Employment will be contingent upon the continued receipt of funds. Funds are expected until August 31, 2024. Employment at NYCEDC is at will and may be terminated by employee or company at any time regardless of funding.
About Us: NYCEDC is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that creates shared prosperity across New York City by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. NYCEDC works with and for communities to provide them with the resources they need to thrive, and invests in projects that increase sustainability, support job growth, develop talent, and spark innovation to strengthen the City’s competitive advantage.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world.
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.