Vice President, Strategic Investments Group
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: The Vice President (VP) will oversee the Funds & Advisory team within the Strategic Investments Group. The Funds & Advisory team manages a diversified fund portfolio that invests catalytic capital across a range of asset classes, including guarantees, loans, and equity investments. The investment funds portfolio is dedicated to expanding opportunity and enriching NYC’s economy while seeking blended financial and multi-faceted social and environmental returns. Funds & Advisory also advises internal partners and engages external stakeholders on a range of strategic initiatives and financial topics.
The VP will be a leader on the Strategic Investments Group team. They will assist with the broader advisory function, internally and externally, and perform research-based evaluation and program design associated with the launch of new impact investment tools. This individual will lead on all aspects of the impact investment process, including origination, financial analysis and modeling, negotiating, structuring, due diligence, investment memorandum preparation and presentation to relevant stakeholders, working with counsel on legal documentation, transaction execution, funding, and portfolio management. This individual will also manage, train and mentor junior team members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with other groups (internally and externally) to set up and structure impact investing funds
- Source pipeline and screen potential investment opportunities
- Lead due diligence, structuring, valuations, negotiations. Develop and maintain detailed financial models.
- Present investment recommendations to deal/project teams, NYCEDC executive staff/boards and City officials
- Work with counsel and other key internal stakeholders on execution of legal documents
- Oversee and report on fund performance, including portfolio analysis – measuring financial and impact returns
- Represent NYCEDC externally, as needed
- Prepare ad-hoc analyses to support the evaluation of new impact investment programs and strategic opportunities
- Manage, train and mentor junior team members
- Support NYCEDC colleagues in achievement of policy and impact objectives
- Other duties as assigned
- Graduate degree in business, finance, urban planning, public policy, real estate or related subject area
- At least 5 to 7 years of work experience in relevant field (e.g., impact investing, investment banking, private equity, venture capital, public finance, real estate finance, real estate development)
- Proven experience with financial modeling, company underwriting and/or valuation and bespoke quantitative analysis
- Proficiency using spreadsheet and presentation applications, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking and engagement with external stakeholders
- Keen attention to detail and ability to prioritize competing needs and opportunities
- Strong interest in impact investing, community development and public-private partnerships
- Highly analytical with instinct for strategic thinking and creative problem solving
- Self-starter, independent with ability to work in a team-based environment
- Prior management experience preferred
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
Salary Range: $115,000-120,000/year
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growingcan good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.