Senior Associate, Funds & Advisory
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: The Senior Associate will join the Funds & Advisory team within SIG. The Funds & Advisory team manages a diversified fund portfolio that invests catalytic capital in the form of credit enhancement, loans, hybrid investments, and venture capital. The investment fund portfolio is dedicated to expanding opportunity and enriching NYC’s economy while seeking blended financial and multi-faceted social and environmental returns. Funds & Advisory also advises internal partners and engages external stakeholders on a range of strategic initiatives and financial topics.
The Senior Associate will assist with all aspects of the impact investment process, including market research, pipeline sourcing, financial analysis, investment structuring and execution, and portfolio monitoring. As part of SIG’s Advisory function, the Senior Associate will also advise inter-departmental working groups on the design and launch of new impact investment tools and strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Source pipeline and screen business plans to cultivate impact investment opportunities
- Lead due diligence in the form of business model evaluation, financial analysis and industry/market analysis
- Develop and maintain detailed financial models, including ability to isolate and manipulate key model drivers
- Assist with investment structuring and credit and valuation analyses (e.g., NPV, IRR, COC, DCF)
- Assist with transaction execution associated with NYCEDC’s capital investments, including preparation of internal presentations, investment memorandums, term sheets and legal documentation
- Present investment recommendations to deal/project teams, NYCEDC executive staff/boards and, City officials to inform senior decision-making on high-impact strategic initiatives
- Assist with fund monitoring and reporting, including portfolio analysis – measuring financial and impact returns
- Foster and manage relationships with external parties, including start-ups, not-for-profits, developers, CDFIs, PE/VC, investment banks, consultants, industry associations/business groups, civic and community stakeholders, and other agencies
- Prepare ad-hoc analyses to support the evaluation of new impact investment programs and strategic opportunities
- Collaborate with colleagues in other NYCEDC departments, including but not limited to Legal, Strategy, Initiatives, Economic Research and Policy, Government & Community Relations, and Development to support organizational and city priorities
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in economics, finance, real estate, business, or related subject area (Graduate degree preferred but not required)
- 3 to 5 years of work experience in relevant field (e.g., impact investing, investment banking, private equity, venture capital, public finance, real estate finance, real estate development)
- Proven experience with financial modeling, company underwriting and/or valuation, and bespoke quantitative analysis
- Proficiency using spreadsheets and presentation applications, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking and engagement with external stakeholders
- Keen attention to detail and ability to prioritize competing needs and opportunities
- Strong interest in impact investing, community development, and public-private partnerships
- Highly analytical with instinct for strategic thinking and creative problem solving
- Self-starter, independent with ability to work in a team-based environment
- Must obtain/maintain New York City residency within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.