Senior Project Manager, Strategy
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Strategy Department: The Strategy department is a ten-member team that takes an objective, collaborative, and hypothesis-driven approach to solving problems and facilitating decision-making for senior leaders at EDC and in City government. Our projects fall into five key categories:
- Strategic and operational advisory: working with senior leaders at EDC and in City government to shape and direct existing initiatives to target policy and financial outcomes (e.g., developing tenanting strategies for EDC real estate assets, supporting expansion planning for NYC Ferry)
- Project management: supporting EDC and City Hall with project management of large-scale projects, often cutting across agencies (e.g., coordinating the City’s 2017 Jobs Plan)
- New initiative ideation and diligence: assessing the need for a new policy or program and building the case for investment with senior leadership (e.g., analyzing EDC actions for technologies such as cybersecurity, blockchain, artificial intelligence and autonomous vehicles)
- Procurement: managing the procurement process of a set of economic development consulting firms for EDC teams and other City agencies (e.g., helping the Mayor’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer with the scope and RFP selection for a citywide broadband implementation plan)
Your role: We are looking for a Senior Project Manager who can:
- Use quantitative and qualitative research methods to develop insightful, creative hypotheses and deliver clear, effective recommendations to address complex problems
- Design and execute research work-plans that break down complex problems into manageable parts
- Effectively and independently lead research interviews
- Build and review Excel models, budgets and other financial outputs
- Create and deliver PowerPoint presentations or memos that communicate key project findings and recommendations
- Develop areas of subject matter expertise and effectively communicate on related topics to other members of the team
- Manage multi-stakeholder project teams with members from various EDC and agency teams toward a common set of outcomes and deliverables
- Play either a lead or support project manager role across multiple projects, managing projects to agreed-upon timelines and prioritizing effectively on an ongoing basis
- Develop clear project scopes and work plans based on limited information and structure ongoing work accordingly
- Proactively keep senior leadership informed of changes to project timelines, project risks, and other key project developments
- Collaborate effectively with teams composed of people with diverse skill sets and areas of expertise
- Communicate positions and recommendations in an effective, clear and structured way with senior leaders at EDC and City Hall
- Confidently lead project and senior stakeholder meetings (President’s Office members, Executive Vice Presidents) and drive conversations towards discrete actions/next steps
- Build strong relationships with colleagues across EDC, other city agencies, and City Hall
- Become a key point of contact and a content expert in order to develop and manage relationships critical to project success
- Understand and invest in learning the context surrounding City government and EDC policy and relationships, seek out relevant conferences, talks and networking events to do so
- Contribute proactively to team culture and support an environment of learning
- Participate actively in team trainings, meetings, and events and suggest areas for continuous improvement
- Proactively manage own professional development with regular check-ins with direct supervisor, informally mentor others
- Energetic, pro-active, collaborative and strategic
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and public speaking skills
- Comfort interfacing with senior officials and business leaders
- Enjoy working in teams and contributing to a team environment
- Enjoy taking on leadership opportunities
- Passionate about public policy, economic development, cities, and New York City
- Undergraduate degree required
- Minimum 3 years of full-time work experience with preference for 4-5 years (applicants with less than 3 years will not be considered)
- Strong preference for all or some work experience in a strategic or project management role within a demanding analytical environment (preferably management consulting or internal strategy department)
- Preference for candidates with demonstrated interest or experience in economic development, real estate, New York City, and/or public policy issues
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.