Project Manager, Compliance
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Department Overview: The Compliance Department (“Compliance”) is responsible for the management and oversight of a large portfolio of economic development projects, including land sales, loans and loan guarantees, tax incentives administered through the New York City Industrial Development Agency (“NYCIDA”), and tax-exempt bond issuances by Build NYC Resource Corporation (“Build NYC”). Additionally, Compliance works with various other NYCEDC departments, the portfolio’s project companies, and consultants to ensure ongoing compliance with project documents as required under State and Local laws for disclosure in public reports and benefits summaries. Preparation of these reports and summaries are a critical function of Compliance and are ultimately subject to review by the City Council, the State Comptroller, and the State Authority Budget Office.
Position Overview: The Project Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management, maintenance, data accuracy, and enforcement of a diversified portfolio of NYCIDA, Build NYC and NYCEDC agreements. The Project Manager will also maintain subject matter expertise in one or more area(s) as decided by the department senior management to train and provide guidance in these areas, communicate with senior management, work autonomously when necessary, and manage projects and tasks to completion. In addition, the Project Manager updates, validates, and creates department spreadsheets and databases, manages interns, and helps manage the collection and verification of data, as well as assemble and finalize some of the organization's annual reports to government oversight authorities. Through the work of the Compliance Department, project managers are able to gain exposure to a wide array of economic development projects throughout the five boroughs.Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of NYCIDA, Build NYC, and other NYCEDC agreements
- Maintain and update various data in the departmental database and spreadsheets
- Read and interpret transaction documents to determine project requirements
- Obtain and analyze required reporting documents to verify compliance with various project requirements including employment thresholds, benefit caps, construction completion, insurance, subtenant, and fee requirements
- Develop and implement improved departmental best practices with input from departmental management
- Draft and send correspondence to clients to explain compliance requirements, meet with clients to explain requirements, attend project pre-closing meetings
- Maintain files and draft correspondence/memos documenting client compliance, defaults, and corrective actions
- Perform site visits to project that are delinquent and/or to verify construction commencement and completion
- Present to the Board of Directors and/or various internal committees
- Aid in the collection, data verification, and compilation of the statutorily required disclosure reports to local and state oversight authorities
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree required
- 1 – 3 years of office environment experience
- Team player and self-starter with excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Project management experience
- Ability to coordinate, organize and prioritize various demands or multiple assignments
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, review, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, including conducting presentations
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
- Degree in business, economics, finance/commercial mortgage loans, law, real estate, public policy, or related field
- Tax, audit, legal, or financial experience, experience or familiarity with tax policy, finance and/or real estate
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS etc.)
- Valid driver’s license
Salary Range: $65,000-67,000/year
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.