Senior Project Manager, Initiatives
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: The Initiatives Department at NYCEDC seeks to understand the rapidly-changing landscape of NYC’s key economic sectors and to conceive, develop, and implement innovative programs that address specific sector challenges and opportunities. Initiatives projects are agile, strategic and impact-focused. We create, launch, and manage programs that partner with and impact the following industries and sectors: urban innovation & sustainability; industrial & manufacturing; creative industries; fashion; emerging & applied technology; life sciences; healthcare; social finance; and international affairs.
As public policy and market interest have created exciting and rapidly evolving new opportunities in urban development, the Senior Project Manager (SPM) will support a variety of established and emerging projects across research/ideation, strategy development, and execution stages.
SPMs in NYCEDC’s Initiatives department are responsible for managing projects in varying stages of development and implementation: from ideation & design, to launch & administration, to post-implementation & closeout. SPMs coordinate, communicate, and manage cross-functional project teams that often involve multiple public and private stakeholders. SPMs also play an integral part in undertaking primary and secondary research, collaborating with internal research teams, and developing presentations for a variety of internal and external audiences. On a day-to-day basis, SPMs stay attuned of trends in various industries, support in launching initiatives, and support the growth and development of relationships with stakeholders in the private, public and nonprofit sectors.
This SPM will be responsible for developing and managing a portfolio of programs that support a variety of these industries and emerging technology sectors of strategic importance to the City.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage various work streams related to initiatives, including coordinating cross-functional and cross-departmental project teams, to ensure project objectives are achieved and timelines are met
- Develop, implement and lead project plans at the beginning of a project that include specific analyses, project scope, timelines, individual responsibilities, etc.
- Create and deliver presentations, memorandums and other materials that effectively communicate project recommendations and/or findings to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders)
- Provide management and support on all aspects of project planning and implementation, including but not limited to financial analysis, contract and procurement management, site visits and all other steps necessary to ensure individual project/initiative success
- Plan, coordinate, and execute events supporting the full range of Initiatives projects, including events such as industry roundtables and public private dialogues involving City stakeholders, private companies, universities and non-profit organizations
- Support team efforts in client management, ongoing relationship-building within industry communities, and awareness-building for Initiatives department programs and initiatives
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research, including data gathering and analysis, financial modeling, and expert interviews, as and when necessary
- Actively contribute to portfolio strategy and brainstorming sessions and team building activities
- Contribute to personnel and team development
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree required, Master’s in a related field preferred
- 3+ years of professional experience, ideally in a demanding analytical, strategic or entrepreneurial environment; project management, business development and/or New York City government experience a plus
- Foundational project management experience; demonstrated ability to design, launch and manage projects against tight timelines, to prioritize among competing needs, and to manage multiple projects at the same time
- Demonstrated interest or knowledge in racial equity and racial justice frameworks, community organizing, community/employee ownership, industrial or creative sectors, workforce development fundamentals, or experience working with environmental justice communities a plus
- Demonstrated interest or knowledge of New York City urban sustainability and resiliency priorities, with experience in energy and/or infrastructure a plus
- Client relationship or partnership management experience; demonstrated ability to manage professional relationships with stakeholders in a results-oriented environment
- Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
- Excellent written and oral communications and presentation skills
- Excellent quantitative and problem-solving skills including financial analysis, comfort building financial models, and skilled in working with data sets
- Proactive “self-starter” and “team player”; able to work in collaborative, cross-functional teams
- Enterprising and resourceful, organized and results-oriented
- Comfort interfacing with senior officials and business leaders
- Must obtain/maintain New York City residency within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.