Assistant Vice President, Strategy
NYCEDC’s vision and mission: Our vision is to make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses. Our mission is to make investments in strengthening neighborhoods and spurring the creation of good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Strategy Department: The Strategy department is a high-performing and versatile team that delivers solutions and enables senior leaders and departments to navigate fast-changing organizational and city-level needs. Our projects fall into four categories:
- Strategy & change management: Assist leadership with shaping EDC vision and direction based on core principles and environmental conditions
- Foresight & collaborative ideation: Consistently provide EDC with foresight of looming issues and support our colleagues in connecting high-potential ideas across EDC
- Program design & execution: Design and develop interdisciplinary, cross-departmental projects, and occasionally execute for projects that are core to EDC mission
- Special projects:Provide advice and support to EDC departments, EDC’s leadership, and City Hall for urgent and complex efforts
We are looking for an Assistant Vice President who can:
- Deliver client-ready, data-driven recommendations to address complex problems
- Oversee project teams as they conduct independent research, expert interviews, data gathering and analysis, and financial modeling
- Work with team members across the organization to generate insights from research and turn insights into compelling PowerPoint presentations or memos for key stakeholders (e.g. EDC senior staff, City Hall, external partners)
- Manage multi-stakeholder project teams with members from various EDC and agency teams toward a common set of outcomes and deliverables
- Play the lead project manager role (either directly, or by supervising a more junior team member) across a portfolio of projects
- Directly develop or support junior team members in developing project scopes and workplans, adjusting the timing of key deliverables and milestones nimbly as the situation requires
- Effectively balance effort across the portfolio to reflect relative project priorities
- Proactively manage senior leadership on project timelines, deliverables, and risks
- Play a trusted facilitation and advisory role with senior leaders at EDC and City Hall – communicating strategic guidance to maximum effect under a wide range of situations
- Communicate in a way that is sensitive to different audiences and present information and recommendations in a clear, concise manner
- Understand and invest in learning context surrounding City government and relationships
- Play a facilitation role in resolving conflicting interests or differences of opinion
- Build collaborative relationships that drive greater efficacy in project delivery and source new project opportunities for the team
- Take on the mentality of a “connector” across different teams and initiatives
- Use relationships to identify new opportunities to work with other EDC teams and City agencies
- Mentor and coach junior Strategy team members
- Provide project and professional development guidance and support to junior staff
- Design and lead team meetings, activities, and professional development opportunities
- Take on formal management responsibilities over time
- Energetic, pro-active, collaborative and strategic
- Very strong communication skills – both verbal and written – and a track record of interfacing with and advising senior leadership
- Passionate about professional development and building strong teams
- Demonstrated interest or experience in economic development, real estate, New York City, and/or public policy issues a plus
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of total work experience, with 3+ of it being in a strategy role in a demanding analytical environment (e.g. management consulting, internal strategy department)
- Demonstrated experience structuring projects from inception to close, leading projects through ambiguity, and galvanizing resources from various teams in concerted action
- Previous supervisory and management experience preferred
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.