Assistant Vice President, Smart & Sustainable Cities
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: The Assistant Vice President (AVP), Smart & Sustainable Cities will help lead the development and execution of a strategically planned portfolio of initiatives focused on catalyzing inclusive growth cementing New York City’s status as a leading destination for the Offshore Wind (OSW) industry in the US that leads with a commitment to equity. This position will focus on promoting innovation in offshore wind to ensure that new technologies & approaches are created in New York City.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Drives the development and execution of complex concepts, processes, and standards at a high level.
- Manages staff and coordinates work of cross-departmental or cross-agency teams to execute strategic initiatives and ensure project objectives are achieved and timelines are met.
- Act as an expert/leader/influencer throughout the organization; Maintains industry expertise and builds an in-depth understanding of economic development opportunities in these areas.
- Attracts federal, state and private investments in OSW innovation that enables the local growth of the industry, the more effective delivery of clean power and the creation of good-paying jobs for New Yorkers of all backgrounds.
- Manages relationships with key external stakeholders and serve as a public face for the Offshore Wind industry.
- Works independently on high level and complex projects. Articulates informed opinions, and clear rationale for decision-making on key portfolio strategies to colleagues at all levels.
- Leads new non-project initiatives to support team and department.
- Anticipates future problems/opportunities, makes recommendations and implements solutions. Can facilitate problem solving with junior staff, and provides strategic decision making on issues raised by the team.
- Drives project agenda and timelines for team project deliverables.
- Creates and delivers presentations that effectively communicate key project findings and recommendations to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders, etc.).
- Sets team norms and upholds standards.
- Works regularly with management and senior-level stakeholders concerning projects, operational decisions and HR initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience (e.g., strategic planning, management or innovation/design consulting, environmental justice, economic development, urban planning, energy or climate policy)
- Considered a subject matter expert in sustainability (direct work experience in renewable energy, sustainability, climate adaptation, or resiliency required)
- Knowledge of current industry trends in OSW and renewable energy field writ large
- Team management and experience developing and mentoring junior-level staff
- Demonstrated interest or experience in economic development and/or public policy issues
- Strong demonstrated written and oral communications and presentation skills
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills, comfort building financial models and conducting ROI analysis, and skill working with data sets
- Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
- Comfort interfacing with senior officials and business leaders
- Ability to prioritize among competing needs and opportunities and manage multiple projects at the same time
- Extensive project management experience; ability to set up the problem, manage projects against tight timelines and proactive and collaborative style that works well in teams
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts of interests and develop productive working relationships with external and internal parties
- Enterprising and resourceful, organized and results oriented
- Demonstrated commitment to equity
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.