Media Relations Associate
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: As a member of a public affairs and media relations department, the Media Relations Associate is responsible for the development and execution of press materials, proactive media outreach and relationship building, press events, crisis communications, and development of internal materials related to NYCEDC projects and initiatives. The MRA is a key member of the Public Affairs and External Affairs teams who reports to the VP of Public Affairs/Media Relations, and works closely with interdisciplinary project teams, a wide-range of stakeholders, other city agencies, and City Hall to craft messaging and storytelling, and execute events when needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works closely with teammates to develop and oversee daily messages and interactions with the media
- Writes press releases with select quotes, principals’ remarks, summaries, and other collateral as needed
- Writes and develops remarks for press events
- Assists and executes in preparing and implementing press events
- Develops and executes a multi-faceted press strategy on assigned projects
- Works across City Hall communications staff and other City and other agencies
- Helps build and protect NYCEDC brand reputation.
- Builds relationship with key members of the media using multiple platforms and tools to communicate
- Proactively arranges media interviews and speaking opportunities to advance key messages to target audiences
- Understands execution and creation of appropriate social media; measurement and listening tools
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Must be curious, well read, interested in public service, and all-things NYC.
- Solid writing and public speaking skills
- 2+ years professional experience in communications with majority of that in media relations, political campaigns, journalism, PR, and/or government agency-related work
- Proven ability to interact with and coordinate consistent messaging and relationships across diverse internal departments, other city agencies and/or external partners.
- Track record of proactive and original media initiatives
- Developing strong media relations skills, and ability to cultivate relationships with reporters
- Curious, independent thinker with strong research skills
- Proficiency with digital multi-media tools (PowerPoint, social metrics, video creation, Canva, etc.)
- Bi-lingual Spanish (written and spoken) a plus
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.