Vice President, Strategy
NYCEDC’s vision and mission: Our vision is to make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses. Our mission is to make investments in strengthening neighborhoods and spurring the creation of good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Strategy Department: NYCEDC’s Strategy team are at the forefront of shaping strategy and policy across diverse topic areas that are front-of-mind for senior stakeholders. Our work falls into four categories:
- Strategy & change management: Assist senior leaders with shaping NYCEDC’s vision and setting the organization’s strategy and direction, e.g. lead an annual organization-wide goal-setting process
- Foresight & collaborative ideation: Provide EDC with foresight of looming policy issues and supporting our colleagues in advancing high-potential ideas, e.g. develop a strategy and roadmap to build an offshore wind industry in NYC
- Program design & execution: Design and develop interdisciplinary, cross-departmental programs of work, e.g. co-develop programs to enable the growth of a legal, equitable cannabis industry in NYC
- Special projects: Provide advice and support to NYCEDC leadership and City Hall for urgent and complex projects, e.g. develop specific pandemic response and economic recovery initiatives
The types of strategic questions and problems we work on include:
- What key strategies and initiatives that will help shape an equitable and comprehensive economic recovery for NYC following the pandemic?
- How can EDC enable individuals, businesses, and communities that have been excluded from economic opportunity to realize income gains, accumulate wealth, and become more economically secure?
- What can we do to increase equitable access to well-paying, middle-class jobs for New Yorkers who have historically been excluded from sharing in the city’s economic prosperity?
- How can NYCEDC and other City agencies turn NYC into a global hub for the green economy, and in doing so advance our decarbonization, climate justice, and economic development goals?
The Strategy team is committed to creating a culture of belonging where all team members are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work and leverage their unique strengths and experiences.
Your role: A Vice President (VP) on the Strategy team is an expert problem-solver and communicator who can lead and supervise insightful research, manage project teams, navigate conversations with senior decision-makers, and proactively make connections that build the team’s influence. Specifically, the VP will:
- Deliver client-ready, data-driven recommendations to address complex problems
- Structure projects from inception to close and lead them through ambiguity
- Oversee project teams as they conduct independent research, expert interviews, data gathering and analysis, and financial modeling
- Work with team members to generate insights from research and turn insights into compelling presentations or memos for key stakeholders (e.g. EDC senior staff, City Hall, external partners)
- Manage multi-stakeholder project teams with members from various EDC and agency teams toward a common set of outcomes and deliverables
- Play the lead project manager role (either directly, or by supervising a more junior team member) across a portfolio of projects
- Directly develop or support junior team members in developing project scopes and workplans, adjusting the timing of key deliverables and milestones nimbly as the situation requires
- Effectively balance effort across the portfolio to reflect relative project priorities
- Proactively manage senior leadership on project timelines, deliverables, and risks
- Play a trusted facilitation and advisory role with senior leaders at NYCEDC and City Hall – communicating strategic guidance to maximum effect under a wide range of situations
- Communicate in a way that is sensitive to different audiences and present information and recommendations in a clear, concise manner
- Understand and invest in learning context surrounding City government and relationships
- Play a facilitation role in resolving conflicting interests or differences of opinion
- Build collaborative relationships that drive greater efficacy in project delivery and source new project opportunities for the team
- Take on the mentality of a “connector” across different teams and initiatives
- Use relationships to identify new opportunities to work with other EDC teams and City agencies
- Galvanize resources from various teams towards concerted action
- Mentor and coach junior Strategy team members
- Provide project and professional development guidance and support to junior staff
- Design and lead team meetings, activities, and professional development opportunities
- Take on formal management responsibilities over time
- Energetic, pro-active, collaborative and strategic
- Very strong communication skills – both verbal and written – and a track record of interfacing with and advising senior leadership
- Passionate about professional development and building strong teams
- Demonstrated interest or experience in economic development, real estate, New York City, and/or public policy issues a plus
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred
- 7+ years of total work experience, with 3+ of it being in a strategy role in a demanding analytical environment (e.g. management consulting, internal strategy department). A relevant advanced degree may be substituted for 1 year of work experience.
- Previous supervisory and management experience preferred
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!