Assistant Vice President, Life Sciences & Healthcare
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC Life Sciences and Healthcare Initiative: With its deep and diverse talent pool, network of premier academic medical centers, lab space, and access to National Institutes of Health and venture funding, New York City has emerged as a major center of life sciences innovation. Now is the time to build on these strengths and invest in the spaces, companies, and talent that will create life-saving cures and treatments, while catalyzing new economic opportunities for the people of this city. Life sciences will continue to play an integral role in creating healthier NYC communities and a stronger economy for all. As the industry continues to mature, the City is committed to investing in early-stage discoveries, furthering development of life sciences spaces, and creating more equitable health outcomes for communities.
A $1 billion investment in life sciences research and development (R&D) and related innovation, LifeSci NYC is expected to create nearly 40,000 new jobs over the next ten years — many accessible to New Yorkers without advanced degrees. NYCEDC is committed to growing the ecosystem in New York City, with a specific focus on:
- Connecting existing researchers and institutions to the resources needed to advance programs to commercialization
- Unlocking space for life sciences companies to grow within the city
- Building a pipeline for the talent and workforce needed to support these companies across the five boroughs
In addition to a large focus on LifeSci NYC, in response to learning throughout the pandemic, NYCEDC has expanded its efforts with some focus on strengthening NYC’s long term health infrastructure and establishing NYC as a global leader in public health training, research, and management.
The AVP, Life Sciences and Healthcare will work closely with NYCEDC colleagues as well as external industry stakeholders to lead and support the implementation of a strategically planned portfolio of NYCEDC LifeSci NYC and Healthcare initiatives that will include a mix of programs focused on life science & healthcare infrastructure, specialized real estate, company funding, ecosystem events and activities, and talent/workforce programs. This will include both active program management in addition to messaging and communications of these programs.
The AVP will cultivate and manage working relationships with stakeholders across the academic, corporate, entrepreneurial and startup, and VC communities. The AVP will also manage cross-functional project teams to drive and deliver on key project milestones and outcomes. Specific tasks may include managing complex projects involving multiple stakeholders; leading and organizing high profile meetings and networking at industry events; and producing top quality presentations and quantitative and qualitative research.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee higher complexity elements of the NYCEDC Life Sciences and Healthcare portfolio: Ensure project milestones, outcomes and objectives are achieved and communicated to appropriate stakeholders by managing cross-departmental teams and multiple partnerships
- Offer expertise in life sciences and/or healthcare and develop a comprehensive understanding of economic development opportunities in these areas
- Build and foster relationships with external stakeholders and serve as a point person for the Life Sci NYC and Healthcare initiatives in collaboration with the broader EDC team
- Leverage exceptional problem-solving skills to focus the team and leadership efficiently, identify key issues/questions, develop and ensure follow through on comprehensive work plans (project scope, timelines, required analyses, individual responsibilities, etc.)
- Ensure that all aspects of contract administration, including RFPs, application, review, approval, funding and compliance, are properly managed
- Create and deliver crisp presentations, as well as provide input / coaching into other project presentations, that effectively communicate key project findings and recommendations to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders, etc.)
- Conduct or oversee primary and secondary research, data gathering and analysis
- Identify opportunities for new program areas and lead new program ideation
- Contribute to personal and team development
- Other duties as assigned
- BA Degree is required
- MBA, MPH, MPA, or Masters Degree in a related field a plus
- Demonstrated interest in the life sciences and/or healthcare sector is preferred.
- 5-8+ years of relevant work experience (e.g., biotechnology companies, operations and project management, consulting firm, investment banking, life science real estate, strategic planning, program design and execution, partnership management)
- Experience managing cross-functional teams, operations, and interfacing with many levels of staff and leadership.
- Proven experience and comfort interfacing with senior officials and leaders in the public and private sectors.
- Demonstrated track record of leading, managing, and executing projects at top-tier organizations
- Outstanding relationship management, communications (written and verbal) and presentations skills.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and maintaining productive working relationships with internal and external clients and parties, including successful cross-functional collaboration on highly complex projects with multiple perspectives.
- Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions.
- Demonstrated accountability, drive, and track record for delivering results.
- Willingness to listen, collect data and find paths to solutions including cutting through red tape.
- Ability to build client-ready presentation/communication materials as well as budget tracking models.
- New York City residency (required within 180 days of hire).
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
- Position Funding: This position is funded by International Business Development funds provided by external funding. Employment will be contingent upon the continued receipt of funds. Funds are expected until August 31, 2024. Employment at NYCEDC is at will and may be terminated by employee or company at any time regardless of funding.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.