Construction and Engineering Auditor, Internal Audit
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Internal Audit department at NYCEDC is on the front lines of exciting and interesting NYCEDC construction projects on behalf of NYC. The team is looking for a strong Construction and Engineering auditor to assist the VP of Construction and Engineering in supporting the business on these projects.
Your role: Reporting directly to the VP, Construction and Engineering Audit, this position will lead desk audits of change orders, conduct and lead audits related to construction operations and internal controls, and lead and/or participate in construction risk assessments. The successful candidate will have experience auditing and reporting on construction costs including operational/financial/non-financial information, contract compliance, and project reports.
- Ensures that the Contractor/Vendor has fulfilled their contractual obligations and EDC has received appropriate value in a competitive bid process and construction management projects.
- Performs field audits to physically verify vouchered amounts and evaluate the quality and progress of work.
- Conducts audits as necessary, drafts high quality reports and other communications.
- Leads desk audits of change orders (change directives, Engineering change notices, field change requests) to assess accuracy and reasonableness. Additionally, review non-competitive bids to ensure that costs are also reasonable.
- Verifies that the work in a change order is not already within the scope of the original contract and verifies that the work was necessary and conforms to the drawing, design, and unit costs in case of unit price contract.
- Reviews change orders and vouchers for accuracy of contractors’ prices, labor rates, construction quantities, and calculations.
- Verifies compliance with prevailing wages as prescribed by the comptroller's office.
- Leads construction cost testing including reconciliation of invoices, purchase orders, and construction control documents.
- Analyzes review of contractor labor billing rates, equipment billing rates and billing methods.
- Review, analysis, and summary of construction claims and audits.
- Identifies cost savings, operational, and business process improvements.
- Provides feedback to staff auditors on audit performance and mentors new members of the Internal Auditing Department, as necessary
- Present on issues to other departments related to engineering and construction audit matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management.
- Experience with and knowledge of Project Management software, Estimating Programs, and blueprints review.
- Knowledge and fluidity in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of construction management, construction cost estimating, and construction scheduling.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience with design and construction audits, reviews, or assessments of construction risk areas: change orders, general conditions, material costs, labor costs, equipment costs, and bid processes.
- Strong knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, codes, policies, engineering standard practices, and business/operational practices of the construction industry.
- Strong knowledge of capital project life cycle (project planning, budget, contract planning, project management and contract terms and conditions).
- Experience with quality assurance/auditing in the construction industry reviewing contractual terms and conditions for contractor performance and deliverables.
- A high level of professionalism to successfully represent the Internal Audit department
- A high attention to detail
- A high level of resourcefulness
- A high level of sensitivity and discretion on sensitive and/or urgent matters
- Flexibility and the ability to multi-task successfully, able to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances, as necessary
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong ability to work well with all levels of management, staff, team members, and business partners
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Sensitivity to key deadlines and drive to meet critical deadlines
- Must obtain/maintain New York City residency within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
- One or more of the following certifications: Engineer in Training, Certified Construction Auditor (CCA), Construction Control Professional (CCP), and Certified Internal Auditor (CIA).
- Strong construction field experience is recommended.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.