Vice President, Design & Construction
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: Reporting to the Senior Vice President, the Asset Management Design and Construction (AMDC) Vice President (VP) leads the development process – capital planning, design, and construction - of multiple real estate assets within the Asset Management portfolio which include but are not limited to various industrial and commercial buildings, cruise terminal/waterfront assets, and various markets across the five boroughs that NYCEDC will subsequently maintain and/or operate. The position is responsible for identifying and mitigating the risks inherent in building innovative and complex projects. The VP is NYCEDC’s primary interface with and manager of Architecture, Engineering, and Construction teams and their respective project contracts, providing oversight for all phases of work, from procurement and preconstruction to project close-out. Though not exclusive, this VP position will be mainly responsible for NYCEDC’s Market’s portfolio.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- AMDC Program:
- Collaborates with department head to define departmental strategy.
- Responsible for facilitating and tracking AMDC’s goals and imparting the department’s vision and mission to junior staff.
- Provide technical and administrative support in the creation and maintaining of AMDC’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Capital Planning:
- Develop and monitor capital plans and annual expense budgets for NYCEDC’s portfolio of assets.
- Asset Development:
- Work closely with the Asset Management Portfolio Management (AMPM) team to ensure the program of the asset and capital project are aligned with both policy and market/tenant needs.
- Work closely with the Asset Management Property Operations (PropOps) team to ensure alignment on operations and maintenance considerations.
- Establish base knowledge of assigned asset portfolio and advise on a variety of issues including tenanting, use, life safety concerns, permitting and approvals, capital improvements, etc.
- Oversee all phases of development, from procurement of the architecture, engineering and construction team to existing conditions assessments, programming, feasibility studies, estimating and budgeting, schematic design through construction documentation, regulatory submissions, bidding, construction, and project close-out.
- Deliver bespoke and forward-thinking design projects.
- Monitor and ensure project goals, including scope, budget and schedule, are met.
- Provide project supervision of departmental Project Managers and advise/direct on a continual basis to ensure proper momentum and path.
- Execute a risk-based management approach to project delivery which includes identifying project risk, forecasting project risk and appropriately mitigating project risk.
- Anticipate regulatory and approval processes as well as critical path work-flow to ensure positive project momentum.
- Lead and influence project teams to achieve desired outcomes.
Interface with senior staff level officials at related City, State and Federal Agencies.
- Build and develop effective working relationships with various consultants, Construction Managers, Project Managers and various Agency partners.
- Interdepartmental Coordination:
- Interface with and coordinate the various departments at NYCEDC to ensure that the relevant expertise is brought to bear on each project.
- Correctly interpret and apply NYCEDC policies and procedures.
- Communicate effectively and inclusively at all levels of the organization.
- Management & Communication:
- Provide oversight and mentorship of junior and intermediate project managers on the team, including monitoring performance, providing coaching and feedback.
- Delegate and assign work as appropriate to employees’ capabilities and NYCEDC needs.
- Presents to internal and external stakeholders including elected officials and City Hall, business owners, prospective and existing tenants, community groups, and other agencies.
- Interface with various internal departments to ensure relevant stakeholders are informed and/or consulted and necessary internal approvals are obtained.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Strong preference for Professional designation (PE, RA, PMP, CCM, CUD, AICP, RIA) as well as owner/occupier experience preferred
- 9+ years of relevant professional experience in architecture, construction, real estate development, owner’s representation or a related field
- Demonstrated experience managing projects from start to finish, leading projects through ambiguity, and galvanizing resources from various teams in concerted action
- Process-orientated yet a creative-thinker in the recognition, reorganization, and implementation of new protocols.
- Demonstrated ability leading teams and developing and mentoring staff
- Outstanding relationship management, communications (written and verbal) and presentation skills
- Demonstrated track record of developing and maintaining productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficiency and experience with construction, building management and maintenance software preferred
- Advanced modeling experience in underwriting real estate with Excel, Argus Enterprise, and/or similar programs preferred
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must obtain/maintain New York City residency within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.