Director of Accessibility
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Your Role: The Director of Accessibility will serve in a newly formed role for NYCEDC as NYCEDC’s in-house expert on accessibility and universal design. The Director will have significant opportunity to craft and grow a comprehensive company-wide approach to addressing accessibility for people with disabilities on EDC projects. The Director will heavily coordinate with the Planning, Capital Program, EEO and Diversity and Inclusion teams.
The Director will be responsible for development and delivery of external-facing programs to ensure NYCEDC compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), other federal, state, and local regulations relating to people with disabilities, as well as advancing Universal Design (UD) principles and goals. The Director will collaborate across NYCEDC departments as well as with the Mayor’s Office of People with Disabilities (MOPD), City agencies and the public to develop and meet company goals for accessibility and people with disabilities. The Director will serve as NYCEDC’s Disability Services Facilitator (DSF) in the MOPD DSF program.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop NYCEDC’s comprehensive external-focused approach to addressing issues related to accessibility and people with disabilities
- Serve as the primary contact with MOPD and other city agencies in relation to accessibility and people with disabilities
- Create, analyze and monitor external-facing policies and systems to ensure accessibility for people with disabilities and compliance with the ADA, and other federal, state, and local regulations
- Review departmental procedures in relation to external-facing projects and identify places to integrate UD/ADA considerations
- Identify and implement strategic ways of leveraging NYCEDC’s impact to advance accessibility goals
- Ensuring EDC external-facing materials, web presence, engagement events, etc. are accessible
- Develop a project review program to ensure ADA compliance and UD considerations from project outset and act as NYCEDC’s “in-house expert” on accessibility issues
- Develop trainings and programs related to disability and the intersection with NYCEDC’s external-facing work
- Educate NYCDC staff about Universal Design in a way that is compelling to a wide audience
- Collaborate with NYCEDC teams on public communications regarding disability
- Create and manage list of ADA/Universal Design consultants
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial ability and experience growing new programs through teamwork, consensus-building, and enthusiasm
- Strong leadership experience, and a record of achieving ambitious results in these roles
- Strong communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to be a persuasive written and verbal communicator
- Interest and/or experience in engaging with disability communities
- Demonstrated experience with and commitment to accessibility issues and Universal Design
- Knowledge of ADA, NYC Building Code, Zoning Resolution, other applicable statutes and regulations
- Strong project management skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Engineering, Disability Studies, or other related field,
- 3+ years experience in Accessibility Advocacy, Urban Planning, Architecture, Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Law or related field
- General computer skills, project scheduling (i.e. MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Must obtain/maintain New York City residency within 180 days of hire
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Engineering, Law, Disability Studies, or other related field, experience managing accessibility programs and projects
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.