Executive Vice President, Planning Division
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and equitable economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Division Overview: The Planning Division is comprised of the Neighborhood Strategies, Land Use, and Transportation Departments that work together to promote economic success and inclusive growth in the city’s neighborhoods. The Planning Division advances major projects that engage communities in planning for their future; help build vibrant, inclusive neighborhoods; advance strategic infrastructure; leverage the City’s public assets; strengthen transportation systems; and promote public access, economic opportunity, and climate resilience.
Position Overview: The Executive Vice President for the Planning Division is responsible for directing planning and implementation activities for major real estate, infrastructure, and transportation projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic direction and management to project leads and multi-disciplinary teams facilitating large-scale planning and development efforts and infrastructure and transportation projects
- Oversee the administration and operations of the Planning Division, comprised of 40 planning professionals, including oversight of the Land Use, Neighborhood Strategies, and Transportation Departments and management of department heads and select key staff
- Oversee the development of, advocacy and resourcing for, and implementation of the divisional project pipeline
- Articulate visions for and evaluate the feasibility of projects based on sound planning principles, strategic priorities, and market realities
- Work closely with the President’s Office and City Administration to ensure clear communications, establish priorities and develop and execute strategies
- Experience shepherding complex projects through the City's land use approval process
- Collaborate with leadership from other divisions and departments to establish roles and responsibilities on inter-disciplinary projects, problem solve and achieve alignment between groups
- Help craft outreach strategies and play leading role on stakeholder engagement; handle media communications on projects; and represent the organization in professional and public forums
- Build and maintain relationships with senior leadership in government agencies; real estate and business groups; civic & community organizations; cultural and professional organizations; and advocacy groups
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in urban planning, real estate, or related field
- 10+ years of experience in urban planning, real estate and/or transportation planning, including significant personnel management experience
- Experience working in the public sector, with NYC government experience preferred
- Agile and results focused creative thinker who possesses both economic and political acumen
- Proven competencies in project leadership and managing work priorities in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated experience coaching, and managing staff, conflict resolution and providing staff opportunities for professional growth and advancement
- Strong collaboration and negotiation skills with an ability to create partnerships internally and externally; demonstrated expertise in stakeholder engagement
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to make presentations at public events and to NYCEDC and City leadership
- Ability to solve problems and respond to urgent issues by mobilizing and directing appropriate resources
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects involving multiple public and private stakeholders
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: New York City Economic Development Corporation is a mission-driven, nonprofit organization that creates shared prosperity across New York City by strengthening neighborhoods and creating good jobs. We work with and for communities to bring emerging industries to NYC, develop spaces and facilities for businesses; empower New Yorkers through training and skill-building; and invest in sustainable projects that make the city a great place to live and work.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.