Social Media Manager
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Public Affairs Department oversees all external messaging involving NYCEDC. In collaboration with the Mayor’s office and every other department at NYCEDC, Public Affairs advances the City’s economic development agenda by stewarding an overall organization-wide narrative while promoting NYCEDC projects and initiatives to media outlets, civic organizations, and the public at large. Public Affairs develops and implements a comprehensive communications strategy that increase NYCEDC’s visibility and promote our agenda.
Your Role: The Social Media Manager will oversee NYCEDC's robust and expanding social media following. The AVP will oversee the maintenance and audience growth strategy for EDC's social media channels and will be tasked with developing and implementing a comprehensive social media marketing strategy that will elevate the awareness of NYCEDC's mission and involvement in New York City.
The Social Media Manager must be proficient with social media content creation and should have the ability to cultivate the friendly yet professional voice of a government agency. An eye for branding, editorial messaging, and visual storytelling is essential.
The Social Media Managermust possess strong interpersonal skills to work cross-functionally across all EDC departments to secure compelling stories that will help craft an inclusive message on behalf of the company. The AVP will also be required to collaborate with other city agencies and external entities, as well as occasional coordination with City Hall on citywide messaging.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute NYCEDC's overall social media plan and strategy for both primary EDC channels and EDC affiliate accounts reaching across various audiences (Brooklyn Army Terminal, Public Markets NYC, etc.)
- Collaborate across multiple functions within the organization to develop and execute the external affairs editorial calendar
- Create and manage the day-to-day content for NYCEDC's suite of social media accounts (including both the NYCEDC brand channels and its affiliates)
- Measure the impact of social media marketing efforts, developing reports and implementing strategies and tactics for improving results both for the External Affairs team and for organizational leadership
- Monitor conversations across all platforms, engaging when appropriate and working with various partners across the organization to address questions and comments when needed
- Leverage paid strategies across all social accounts to drive engagement and organizational goals, such as increased website traffic
- Work closely with the Marketing Department to continuously drive traffic to the newly launched edc.nyc website
- Monitor trends in the social media domain and make recommendations for incorporating relevant tools and channels into NYCEDC's ongoing marketing efforts
- Leverage existing social media and digital marketing activities as a tool for community engagement and reaching more New Yorkers than ever
- Strategize with various departments and stakeholders to integrate relevant social media techniques into the company culture and all the company's products and services
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with outside entities, other city agencies, and key "influencers" to expand the reach of our messages
- Work with departmental leadership and staff to leverage social media for thought leadership
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of digital marketing, journalism, advertising or related experience, specifically focused on management of social media accounts and content creation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to quickly craft clear and timely messages
- Frequent user of social media with a deep understanding of the space, particularly from a marketing and editorial perspective; adept with technology and new media
- Experience providing analysis on social media content performance utilizing various platforms and tools such as Google Analytics, Sprout Social, Hootsuite, etc.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, able to manage multiple tasks and incoming requests
- Familiarity with Drupal and Photoshop a plus
- Comfortable working with tight deadlines
- Independent thinker who can identify white space and develop creative solutions
- Government or non-profit experience a plus
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.