Vice President, Waterfront Design & Construction
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Your Role: Reporting to the Senior Vice President, the Asset Management Design and Construction (AMDC) Vice President (VP) of the Waterfront portfolio leads the development process – capital planning, design and engineering, and construction – of various waterfront and maritime assets within the Asset Management portfolio, including the City’s cruise terminals, that NYCEDC will subsequently maintain or operate. In addition, the VP will be responsible for directing the City’s Waterfront Inspections Program (WIP) and maintenance of the Waterfront Facilities Maintenance Management System (WFMMS) for all City-owned maritime and waterfront assets along the City’s waterfront.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- AMDC Program:
- Collaborates with department head to define departmental strategy.
- Responsible for facilitating and tracking AMDC’s goals and imparting the department’s vision and mission to junior staff.
- Provide technical and administrative support in the creation and maintaining of AMDC’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Capital Planning:
- Develop and monitor capital plans and annual expense budgets for NYCEDC’s portfolio of assets.
- Lead the development and continued implementation of an engineering inspection program that assesses the condition of waterfront infrastructure operated by NYCEDC and other City agencies.
- Lead the review and interpretation of inspection results in development of funding request for new capital projects.
- Coordinate with other City agencies to develop their own capital plans based on the information gathered from the inspection program.
- Lead the environmental mitigation strategy for various waterfront projects by coordinating with local and regional permitting agencies.
- Asset Development:
- For NYCEDC projects, work closely with the Asset Management Portfolio Management (AMPM) team to ensure asset and capital projects are aligned with policy and market/tenant needs.
- For NYCEDC projects, work closely with the Asset Management Property Operations (PropOps) team to ensure alignment on operations and maintenance considerations for NYCEDC assets.
- Establish base knowledge of NYCEDC waterfront asset portfolio and advise on a variety of issues including tenanting, use, life safety concerns, permitting and approvals, capital improvements, etc.
- Oversee all phases of development, from procurement of the architecture, engineering and construction team to existing conditions assessments, programming, feasibility studies, estimating and budgeting, schematic design through construction documentation, regulatory submissions, bidding, construction, and project close-out.
- Deliver bespoke and forward-thinking design and engineering projects.
- Monitor and ensure project goals, including scope, budget and schedule, are met.
- Provide project supervision of departmental Project Managers and advise/direct on a continual basis to ensure proper momentum and path.
- Execute a risk-based management approach to project delivery which includes identifying project risk, forecasting project risk and appropriately mitigating project risk.
- Anticipate regulatory and approval processes as well as critical path work-flow to ensure positive project momentum.
- Lead and influence project teams to achieve desired outcomes.
- Interface with senior staff level officials at related City, State and Federal Agencies.
- Build and develop effective working relationships with various consultants, Construction Managers, Project Managers and various Agency partners.
- Perform off-hours work, as determined by particular project requirements.
- 24-7 response for emergencies.
- Interdepartmental Coordination:
- Interface with and coordinate the various departments at NYCEDC to ensure that the relevant expertise is brought to bear on each project.
- Correctly interpret and apply NYCEDC policies and procedures.
- Communicate effectively and inclusively at all levels of the organization.
- Management & Communication:
- Provide oversight and mentorship of junior and intermediate project managers on the team, including monitoring performance, providing coaching and feedback.
- Delegate and assign work as appropriate to employees’ capabilities and NYCEDC needs.
- Presents to internal and external stakeholders including elected officials and City Hall, business owners, prospective and existing tenants, community groups, and other agencies.
- Interface with various internal departments to ensure relevant stakeholders are informed and/or consulted and necessary internal approvals are obtained.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Strong preference for Professional designation (PE, RA, PMP, CCM, CUD, AICP, RIA) as well as owner/occupier experience preferred
- 9+ years of relevant professional experience in engineering, architecture, construction management, or a related field, as well as experience with marine or heavy civil construction and cost estimating preferred
- Proficiency and experience with construction, building management and maintenance software, GIS and database programs preferred
- Understanding of key financial terms, budgeting and cost analysis
- Demonstrated experience managing projects from start to finish, leading projects through ambiguity, and galvanizing resources from various teams in concerted action
- Demonstrated ability leading teams and developing and mentoring staff
- Outstanding relationship management, communications (written and verbal) and presentations skills
- Demonstrated track record of developing and maintaining productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must obtain/maintain New York City residency within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.