NYC Ferry Watchfloor Operator (Temporary Role)
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC’s NYC Ferry Watchfloor is responsible for observing and reporting information about NYC Ferry operations to the rest of the NYCEDC Ferry team on a frequent basis. Our Watchfloor team is responsible for communicating with NYC Ferry’s operator, Hornblower, about vessels that are out of service, delayed, incidents involving passengers or crew, and monitoring social media channels for customer complaints. The Watchfloor Operator is also needed to track information and disseminate information during incident responses involving the ferry system.
NYC Ferry is seeking a Watchfloor Operator to join our Watchfloor team for up to 8 months. Responsibilities include:
- Observe and report daily ferry operations: send hourly reports regarding on time performance, vessel performance, observe social media comments,
- Be incident manager if there is an incident/emergency that needs to be addressed with a larger group: gather information, effectively communicate that to others
- Log information regarding repairs and open issues that need to be addressed by maintenance team
- Shifts needed are Sundays and Mondays 6:30 AM – 2:30 PM and Thursdays and Fridays 2:30 PM – 10:30 PM.
- Must be proficient with basic computer programs (email, word, google forms) as written, hourly reports are part of the job. (We will train, but must have proficient typing skills at a minimum.)
- Required to train in-person in the Seaport (for at least 2-3 weeks), then option to be remote on a part-time basis.
- May occasionally be asked to go in the field and on boats to observe operations, so must not get seasick.
In the office (most of the time):
- Effective communicator, both written and verbal skills
- Incident response management
- Observe and report ferry operations: on time performance, vessel swaps, publicly posted customer service issues, etc.
- Hand off information/tasks to other Watchfloor Operators working different shifts
- Work alone the majority of the time
- Review video footage to save and track for incident report filings
- Gather ridership data (we can teach you how to do this)
In the field (occasionally):
- Observe vessel boarding procedures
- Count passengers in line
- Visit landings and observe/report on condition of landings
- Ride ferries and observe/report on crew interactions and conditions of vessels
About Us: NYCEDC is The City of New York’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the City’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.