Vice President, Government & Community Relations
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Government and Community Relations Division (GovCo) helps bridge the gap between the work of NYCEDC and the needs and ideas of New Yorkers impacted by our projects. We advance EDC’s agenda and ensure projects advance smoothly by cultivating external relationships, developing public engagement strategies, and building political and community support for EDC’s projects.
Your Role: As a Vice President on our dynamic team you will be responsible for overseeing public engagement for all of our transportation project sand industry initiatives citywide along with land use projects in the Bronx and Upper Manhattan.Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and coach assigned employees; ensure employees are oriented to their position and provided with appropriate training, development and continuing education on an ongoing basis.
- Work closely with the SVP and Vice President to ensure GovCo operations are aligned with Company-wide goals.
- Help create a culture within the group that supports professional development and career growth.
- Help promote a collaborative, high performing organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, program excellence, teamwork, and a shared purpose.
- Oversee the creation of public, elected official and stakeholder engagement strategies to inform and engage communities and stakeholders about NYCEDC transportation project and industry initiatives across the City, and land use projects within the Bronx and Upper Manhattan, and other areas and initiatives as assigned
- Assist GovCo team members and NYCEDC project managers in developing presentations to elected officials, community boards, and other stakeholders regarding progress and status of NYCEDC projects.
- Oversee the creation and delivery of PowerPoint presentations, memos or strategic plans for key stakeholders (e.g. EDC senior staff, City Hall, elected officials, community boards, community-based organizations and other external partners).
- Build relationships with key stakeholders across the organization and other city agencies to support the team’s objectives and outcomes.
- Identify new opportunities for the GovCo team to engage with elected officials, community-based organizations, advocates, and other city agencies.
- Work with executives at EDC and City Hall to present recommendations and provide strategic guidance.
- Communicate in a way that is sensitive to different audiences and present information and recommendations in a clear, concise manner.
- Brief the NYCEDC President, President’s Office, NYCEDC leadership, and City Hall staff on various initiatives and projects within the portfolio.
- Strategic and analytical thinker, capable of forging consensus around complex projects between wide arrays of stakeholders.
- Serve as a liaison for NYCEDC’s Equity Working Group.
- Experience with New York City land use and public approval processes is critical, as is experience with New York City and New York State legislative and budget processes.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a related field such as communications, journalism, political science, public policy or marketing.
- Experience managing and coaching staff.
- At least 5 years of experience working with elected officials, public agencies, campaigns and/or community-based organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate problems and devise creative solutions.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Highly organized individual, capable of prioritizing competing interests and managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment.
- Experience advancing and staffing a principal preferred, ideally a government or elected official.
- Ability to travel within the five boroughs of New York City and attend evening meetings.
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.