Vice President, Funds & Advisory
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Strategic Investments Group (“SIG”) structures impact investments to drive inclusive economic development by unlocking access to capital, mobilizing private investment and supporting the growth of strategic sectors. To realize the vision of equitable, sustainable prosperity, SIG structures impact investments utilizing an array of innovative market-based financing solutions. SIG’s impact investment toolkit includes incentives, such as discretionary tax benefits, tax-exempt financing and tax credits, as well as the deployment of catalytic investment capital through its portfolio of debt & equity funds.
Your Role: The Vice President (VP), will join the Funds & Advisory team within SIG, and lead the Funds vertical. The Funds & Advisory team manages a diversified fund portfolio that invests catalytic capital in the form of credit enhancement, loans, hybrid investments and venture capital. The investment fund portfolio is dedicated to expanding opportunity and enriching NYC’s economy while seeking blended financial and multi-faceted social and environmental returns. Funds & Advisory also counsels internal partners and engages external stakeholders on a range of strategic initiatives and financial topics.
In this role, the Vice President will report to the Managing Director, and be in charge of the day-to-day management of the debt and equity portfolios within SIG. The VP will help supervise a team of finance and development professionals on projects central to NYC’s economic development goals, which will focus on investing directly and indirectly in businesses and industries with whom the City would like to partner. The VP will lead projects from inception to closing by working internally to create investment funds, design deal structures, direct the financial analysis of project feasibility, manage negotiations with internal and external stakeholders, and establish and maintain external relationships. The ideal candidate will have previous experience leading deal teams (preferably in the investment banking, real estate, tax-exempt, or VC/PE realms), and have a thorough understanding of how to structure equity and debt transactions from both a legal and financial perspective. Additionally, the candidate should possess a strong understanding of how to progress projects in a challenging environment and understand public policy objectives and regulatory processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and provide direction on all aspects of investment funds management (fund creation, deal negotiation/structuring, marketing, etc.)
- Possess experience and/or strong understanding of the various types of financing structures, (i.e. debt, equity, quasi-equity, etc.), and have relevant experience with these transaction types
- Direct financial structuring analyses (NPV, IRR, COC, Valuation, etc.), isolating key drivers of investment return
- Identify new projects and/or investment opportunities for EDC
- Conduct transaction negotiations to maximize double bottom-line returns to the City, EDC and SIG
- Initiate, supervise and review all relevant project documents
- Establish & achieve short and long-term project goals and time frames
- Develop systems for accountability and monitoring for projects and staff
- Offer expertise on investment opportunities and other initiatives and issues relevant to SIG
- Present projects to executive staff, boards and City officials
- Build and maintain relationships with governmental and quasi-governmental agencies, real estate developers, Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs), PE/VC firms, investment banks, consultants, relevant business groups, civic and community stakeholders, and professional organizations
- Work with SVP MD and other department leadership to develop the strategic outlook for SIG
- Demonstrate managerial capabilities, with specific focus on leading and motivating teams, and the ability to set and meet goals, expectations and deadlines with limited oversight
- Mentor and cultivate junior staff; provide active skills development
- Possess a strong sense of professional judgment and ability to solve problems creatively
- Exhibit leadership abilities, including interpersonal, communication and public speaking skills, and a strong sense of personal accountability
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in business, real estate, finance or law preferred
- Strong experience and background in finance, (i.e. structuring investments or overseeing lending). Target work experience of 8-10 years
- Proven strength using spreadsheets, databases, and presentation applications including but not limited to Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to source financing opportunities and develop client relationships
- Strong combination of analytical, financial, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and lead a project team on complex transactions
- Strong project management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team-based environment with limited oversight
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
- Ability to prioritize competing needs and opportunities
- Understanding of economic development policies and issues
- Familiarity with NYC government and NYC real estate
- Demonstrated interest in the City’s mission and investment strategy
- NYC residency is required within 180 days of hire
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.