Assistant Vice President, Partners & Investment Diligence
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Initiatives Department is a thirty-five person team that designs and implements programs to support growth in EDC’s priority industries such as life sciences, cybersecurity, advanced manufacturing, urban sustainability, and tech. To support its goals, Initiatives frequently conducts procurements for private sector and non-profit operators to enter into partnership with NYCEDC to run economic development programs such as:
- Startup Incubators & Accelerators: programs that provide startups with resources to support their growth, such as space and mentorship (e.g. The Hub @ New Lab, Futureworks Advanced Manufacturing Center)
- Workforce Development Initiatives: programs that provide New Yorkers with opportunities to learn skills to access good-paying jobs (e.g. Cybersecurity Bootcamp, Life Sciences Internship Program)
- Industry Convening & Unification: programs that promote connections between key actors in industry ecosystems, such as linking buyers and sellers (e.g. Digital Health Marketplace, Blockchain Week) and creating physical and virtual landing pads to connect and coordinate disparate players (e.g. RLab, Global Cyber Center, Urbantech NYC)
- Strategic Funds: EDC investment vehicles structured to support investments in local startups and businesses in priority industries (e.g. Early Stage Life Sciences Fund)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support project teams in the diligence of potential new initiatives and the structuring of subsequent public-private partnerships:
- Support the development of the vision for the underlying business model and financial structure of new programs, and incorporate these ideas into the content of Requests for Proposals (RFPs)
- Inform the structuring of program contracts and develop funding recommendations. Vet and defend key terms with EDC leadership and the City’s Office of Management and Budget
- Work across departments as part of a team to test ideas, build buy-in, and support collective skill-building
- Play a key role in due diligence of potential partners (RFP respondents), and negotiations with potential program operators:
- Develop detailed understanding of entity putting forth each RFP response, including their business model, past experiences, and proposed plan for financing, sustaining and/or scaling an EDC-sponsored program
- Lead the analysis of financial statements provided by potential operators and other publicly available information to identify key risks and opportunities associated with contracting with that potential partner
- Work with project teams to make recommendations to senior leadership around deal terms and investment structure for preferred respondents to RFPs
- Support contract negotiations with operators, with a particular focus on the financial terms of a given deal, and with an eye on managing risks and ensuring desired outcomes
- Develop innovative approaches to financing and structuring high-impact public programs
- Rethink and refine contract structures with future partners to better achieve NYCEDC policy goals and program outcomes.
- Develop strategies to better leverage EDC’s investment in new initiatives (e.g. attracting capital from additional corporate or non-profit partners)
- Make recommendations about the financial structures of program and partnerships that optimize the double bottom line impact of investments
- Support ongoing monitoring and evaluation efforts of EDC’s partners
- Assist in the annual reviews of contracted operators to determine if they are performing well financially, and achieving intended policy outcomes
- Develop recommendations on how EDC and its partners can continue to improve the performance of existing investments and partnerships
- Plan for and support project completion through successful closure, transfer, or repositioning for long-term sustainability
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree required, relevant advanced degree in business or law is a plus
- Minimum 5-7 years of work experience, preferably in a role that required building out rigorous investment recommendations (e.g. Private Equity, Credit/Equity Research Analyst, Asset Management) and forming public-private partnerships.
- Experience structuring, writing, and negotiating contracts
- Preference for candidates with demonstrated interest or experience in investing, economic development, New York City, and/or public policy issues
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- Curious, highly analytical, and collaborative
- Creative, flexible thinker and problem solver
- Strong understanding of financial statement analysis
- Experience crafting contract and deal structures for public-private partnerships
- Enjoy building and reviewing financial statements and detailed Excel models
- Ability to communicate investment recommendations and financial concepts in a clear manner to both expert and non-expert audiences
- Comfortable interfacing with senior officials, external partners, and business leaders
- Passionate about public policy, economic development, cities, and New York City
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.