Vice President, Insurance & Risk Manager
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: The Vice President (VP), Insurance & Risk Manager will report directly to the Executive Vice President of Finance and will be responsible for the delivery and oversight of the corporation’s insurance and risk management programs. Staff in this role will interact regularly with other departments and staff throughout the Corporation in order to establish industry best practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise on all corporate wide insurance matters including reviewing operations, identifying gaps, and recommending new coverages as needed. Manage the Corporation’s internal captive insurance company including the development of processes and policies to be used with the captive, the addition of new coverages, and review of the captive’s risks and exposures
- Establish firm-wide claims management process, working closely with the Legal Department on all claims, perform deductible reserves analysis, manage property claims from start to finish, and update monthly claims/loss ratios
- Responsible for coordinating all insurance and risk related requests from internal/external stakeholders who play a role in the various insurance functions at NYCEDC
- Risk management/insurance reviews with projects managers and legal staff
- Train project support teams and others in the review of certificates of insurances (COI’s)
- Coordinate site visits for loss mitigation/risk control services
- Manage external relationships with third party administrators (TPAs), the Corporation’s insurance brokers, insurers, the captive insurance company manager and City, State and Federal agencies
- Review and execute on requests for insurance modifications and waivers
- Guide and manage staff analyst in all facets of assigned tasks
- Build important working relationships throughout the organization to grow the function and the team over time
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree required; ARM, CPCU certification preferable
- 8+ years’ relevant commercial insurance and/or risk management experience
- Knowledge and experience as a corporate risk manager directly involved in the purchase of coverages in the commercial insurance markets
- Knowledge of risk management governance and controls
- Strong PowerPoint skills, intermediate Excel skills
- Adapts well to and initiates change in the organization
- Strong communication, facilitation and consensus building skills
- Process design and analysis skills
- Must be team oriented and perform all duties in a professional and conscientious manner
- Must have the ethical and confidential requirements commensurate to the profession
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
Salary Range: $130,000-135,000/year
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growingcan good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.