Senior Project Manager, Waterfront Design & Construction
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, the Senior Project Manager (SPM) of the Waterfront portfolio will manage all aspects of design and construction of various waterfront and maritime assets within the Asset Management portfolio, including the City’s cruise terminals, that NYCEDC will subsequently maintain or operate, in addition to waterfront projects for other City Agencies. In addition, the SPM will manage inspections for the Waterfront Inspections Program (WIP) for all City-owned maritime and waterfront assets along the City’s waterfront, including inspections on behalf of other City Agencies and NYCEDC.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Capital Planning:
- Supports Waterfront AVP in management of capital plans and annual expense budgets for projects related to NYCEDC’s waterfront portfolio
- Supports Waterfront AVP in management of a $4MM yearly budget for waterfront inspections for NYCEDC and other City agencies
- Waterfront Inspections:
- Manage engineering inspections that assesses the condition of waterfront infrastructure operated by NYCEDC and other City agencies.
- Manage the review and interpretation of inspection results
- Waterfront Design & Construction:
- For NYCEDC projects, work closely with the Asset Management Portfolio Management (AMPM) team to ensure asset and capital projects are aligned with policy and market/tenant needs.
- For NYCEDC projects, work closely with the Asset Management Property Operations (PropOps) team to ensure alignment on operations and maintenance considerations for NYCEDC assets.
- Establish base knowledge of NYCEDC waterfront asset portfolio and advise on a variety of issues including tenanting, use, life safety concerns, permitting and approvals, capital improvements, etc.
- Serves as prime contact on contracts or project and manager all phases of development from procurement of the architecture, engineering and construction team to existing conditions assessments, programming, feasibility studies, estimating and budgeting, schematic design through construction documentation, regulatory submissions, bidding, construction, and project close-out.
- Deliver bespoke and forward-thinking design and engineering projects.
- Collaborates effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationships with various consultants, construction managers, the public, various organizations, and governmental agency partners
- Effectively manages a variety of work to required standards of quality, quantity, and timeliness
- Executes a risk-based management approach to project delivery which includes identifying project risk, forecasting project risk and appropriately mitigating project risk
- Leads and influences project teams to achieve desired outcomes
- Prioritizes work effectively
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of industry standards
- Maintains compliance with City procurement rules
- Interdepartmental Coordination:
- Contributes to the completion of projects and supports initiatives outside of Asset Management
- Interface with various departments at NYCEDC to ensure stakeholders are informed and/or consulted, the relevant expertise is brought to bear on each project, and necessary internal approvals obtained
- Communicates effectively and inclusively across all levels of the corporation
- Correctly interpret and apply NYCEDC policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, or a related field
- Strong preference for professional designation or working towards professional registration (PE, RA, PMP, CCM, CUD, AICP, RIA), as well as owner/occupier experience preferred
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience in engineering, architecture, construction management, owner’s representation, or a related field
- Experience with marine or heavy civil construction preferred
- Proficiency and experience with construction, building management and maintenance software
- Experience with GIS and database programs preferred
- Strong project management abilities
- Strong computer, written and verbal skills
- Ability to use standard Office software (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Analytical skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to problem solving, to anticipate project issues and maintain project momentum and manage multiple projects at one time
- Understanding of key financial terms
- Understanding of basic budgeting and cost analysis
- Valid driver's license
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.