Intern, Asset Management
Want to be part of an organization changing NYC? Do you see yourself giving back to a community? Want to help change the NYC skyline? Want to create jobs and strengthen neighborhoods? Asset Management makes it happen.
As a NYCEDC intern, you will help with advancing large scale catalytic developments, drive comprehensive neighborhood planning, maintain quality jobs today and grow innovative jobs for tomorrow.
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Asset Management Division manages the overall strategy for conventional and non-traditional assets across all five boroughs of New York City including commercial real estate properties as well as transportation, critical infrastructure, and energy assets. The Asset Management division pursues a double-bottom line strategy, targeting not just economic returns but also multiple social metrics including but not limited to job creation and growing equitable neighborhoods. The overall assets are divided into multiple portfolios, each managed by a Portfolio Manager/SVP, with a Portfolio Surveillance group that monitors and enforces standards and practices across the portfolio. The division-wide portfolio encompasses all property types including those that are standard in the real estate industry (Retail, Mixed-Use/Commercial, Industrial, etc.) with individual Portfolio Managers also managing assets particular to public sector and public/private partnerships (Transportation assets including Ferry, Cruise, Freight/Rail, and Aviation, Retail and Market assets, Cultural, Industrial and Commercial assets). In fiscal year 2018, the department actively managed over 220 properties and over 64 million square feet at a 94% occupancy rate, generating more than $240 million in revenue.
Your Internship: Spend 12 weeks interning with NYCEDC and learn about events management and operations. You’ll have leadership engagements, tour EDC assets, attend company events and more. Asset Management interns are integrated into teams and will do real, hands-on work. All internships are paid.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assist in administration of agreements (leases, licenses, operating agreements, etc.), including developing abstracts; ensuring accurate billing and arrears collection; managing expirations, renewals, assignments, and evictions; and monitoring ongoing compliance with reporting requirements, tenant improvements, and other material terms.
- Interface with tenants, licensees, permittees, operators and/or concessionaires on all aspects of their agreements with the City and/or EDC.
- Assist with planning, strategy and general task execution related to public retail markets or sunset park portfolio as needed.
- Perform site visits and assist with the development of events and initiatives as needed
- Interface with tenants, third party service providers, representatives of other NYCEDC departments, other City agencies and external public sector partners as needed.
- Implement outdoor activities such as nighttime movies on a pier, public arts exhibitions and other cultural activities
- Work with community partners to run educational workshops for local residents
- Assist with permits for photography and film shoots on NYCEDC property
- Other duties as assigned.
- Eligible applicants include any undergraduate or graduate student currently enrolled in a hospitality, marketing, communications, facilities operations, urban planning, city planning, economic development, urban studies, real estate development, business, transportation, logistics, or related program
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Impressive academic and extracurricular qualifications, consistently strong performance, and a passion for innovation and success
- An ability to work and communicate well in a fast paced environment while interacting with a wide variety of people
- Teamwork and problem-solving skills
- A willingness to accept responsibility, ask tough questions, and solve problems
- Passion for public service and New York City
NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.