Senior Project Manager, Life Sciences and Healthcare
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and equitable economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
With its deep and diverse talent pool, network of premier academic medical centers, lab space, and access to National Institutes of Health and venture funding, New York City has emerged as a major center of life sciences innovation. Now is the time to build on these strengths and invest in the spaces, companies, and talent that will create life-saving cures and treatments, while catalyzing new economic opportunities for the people of this city. Life sciences will continue to play an integral role in creating healthier NYC communities and a stronger economy for all. As the industry continues to mature, the City is committed to investing in early-stage discoveries, furthering development of life sciences spaces, and creating more equitable health outcomes for communities.
A $1 billion investment in life sciences research and development (R&D) and related innovation, LifeSci NYC is expected to create nearly 40,000 new jobs over the next ten years — many accessible to New Yorkers without advanced degrees. NYCEDC is committed to growing the ecosystem in New York City, with a specific focus on:
- Connecting existing researchers and institutions to the resources needed to advance programs to commercialization
- Unlocking space for life sciences companies to grow within the city
- Building a pipeline for the talent and workforce needed to support these companies across the five boroughs
In addition to a large focus on LifeSci NYC, in response to learning throughout the pandemic, NYCEDC has expanded its efforts with some focus on strengthening NYC’s long term health infrastructure and establishing NYC as a global leader in public health training, research, and management.
Position Overview: The SPM, Life Sciences and Healthcare will work closely with NYCEDC colleagues as well as external industry stakeholders to lead and support the implementation of a strategically planned portfolio of NYCEDC LifeSci NYC and Healthcare business development activities and initiatives. These initiatives include a mix of programs focused on the expansion of life sciences & healthcare in NYC given EDC’s work in corporate attraction and retention, infrastructure, specialized real estate, company funding, ecosystem events and activities, and talent/workforce programs. This will include both active program management in addition to messaging and communications of these programs.
The SPM will build and expand on working relationships with stakeholders across the academic, corporate, entrepreneurial and startup, and VC communities. The SPM will also manage cross-functional project teams to drive and deliver on key project milestones and outcomes related to business development and expanding Life Sciences in NYC. Specific tasks may include managing projects involving multiple stakeholders; leading and organizing high profile meetings and networking at industry events; and producing top quality presentations and quantitative and qualitative research.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee elements of the NYCEDC Life Sciences and Healthcare portfolio and business development activities: Ensure project milestones, outcomes and objectives are achieved and communicated to appropriate stakeholders by managing cross-departmental teams and multiple partnerships
- Develop expertise in life sciences and/or healthcare as well as a comprehensive understanding of economic development opportunities in these areas
- Build and foster relationships with external stakeholders, with the goal of serving as a point person over time for the Life Sci NYC and Healthcare initiatives in collaboration with the broader EDC team
- Assist in the design and negotiation of public-private partnerships in support of life sciences’ expansion in NYC
- Develop and leverage exceptional problem-solving skills to identify key issues/questions, develop and ensure follow through on comprehensive work plans (project scope, timelines, required analyses, individual responsibilities, etc.)
- Ensure all aspects of contract administration for LSHC expansion and business development activities specific to the SPM’s projects, including RFPs, application, review, approval, funding and compliance, are properly managed
- Create and deliver presentations that effectively communicate key project findings and recommendations to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders, etc.)
- Conduct primary and secondary research, data gathering and analysis to inform business and project development efforts
- Contribute to fundraising activities of the team, including but not limited to the pursuit of industry, federal, state, and non-profit sponsored funding opportunities.
- Identify opportunities for new program areas and public-private projects
- Contribute to personal, team, and department professional development and culture activities
- Other duties as assigned
- BA Degree is required
- 3-5+ years of relevant work experience or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated interest in the life sciences and/or healthcare sector is preferred. Understanding of early-stage innovation / startups / VCs is a plus
- Strong project management and interfacing with senior executives at NYCEDC or other top-tier organizations
- Demonstrated track record of developing and maintaining productive working relationships with internal and external clients and parties, including successful cross-functional collaboration
- Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
- Willingness to listen, collect data and find paths to solutions including cutting through red tape
- Ability to build client-ready presentation materials and communication materials
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills, comfort with reading and interpreting financial models, managing budgets, and conducting ROI analysis, and skill working with data sets
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
Position Funding: This position is funded by International Business Development funds provided by external funding. Employment will be contingent upon the continued receipt of funds. Funds are expected until August 31, 2024. Employment at NYCEDC is at will and may be terminated by employee or company at any time regardless of funding.
Salary Range: $80,000-82,000/year
About Us: NYCEDC is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that creates shared prosperity across New York City by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. NYCEDC works with and for communities to provide them with the resources they need to thrive, and invests in projects that increase sustainability, support job growth, develop talent, and spark innovation to strengthen the City’s competitive advantage.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world.
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.