Senior Project Manager, Strategy
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Strategy Department: NYCEDC’s Strategy team are at the forefront of shaping strategy and policy across diverse topic areas that are front-of-mind for senior stakeholders. Our work falls into four categories:
- Strategy & change management: Assist senior leaders with shaping NYCEDC’s vision and setting the organization’s strategy and direction, e.g. lead an annual organization-wide goal-setting process
- Foresight & collaborative ideation: Provide EDC with foresight of looming policy issues and supporting our colleagues in advancing high-potential ideas, e.g. develop a strategy and roadmap to build an offshore wind industry in NYC
- Program design & execution: Design and develop interdisciplinary, cross-departmental programs of work, e.g. co-develop programs to enable the growth of a legal, equitable cannabis industry in NYC
- Special projects: Provide advice and support to NYCEDC leadership and City Hall for urgent and complex projects, e.g. develop specific pandemic response and economic recovery initiatives
Examples of strategic questions and problems we work on include:
- What key strategies and initiatives that will help shape an equitable and comprehensive economic recovery for NYC following the pandemic?
- How can EDC enable individuals, businesses, and communities that have been excluded from economic opportunity to realize income gains, accumulate wealth, and become more economically secure?
- How can NYCEDC and other City agencies turn NYC into a global hub for the green economy, and in doing so advance our decarbonization, climate justice, and economic development goals?
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Own and manage a range of diverse, multi-stakeholder project
- Develop clear and manageable project scopes and workplans based on limited information and structure ongoing work accordingly, adapting during the project as necessary
- Proactively keep senior leaders informed of project findings and key project developments
- Collaborate effectively with team members across NYCEDC and other City agencies
- Use quantitative and qualitative research to develop insightful hypotheses and deliver clear, effective recommendations to senior stakeholders
- Lead informational interviews with internal and external stakeholders
- Conduct analysis in Excel, including but not limited to work on with budgets or financial statements
- Identify insightful, strategic solutions with a clear path forward
- Communicate positions and recommendations in an effective, clear and structured way with senior leaders at EDC and City Hall
- Confidently lead meetings and drive conversations towards discrete actions/next steps
- Create and deliver presentations or memos that communicate key project findings and recommendations
- Build strong relationships with colleagues across EDC, other city agencies, and City Hall
- Become a point of contact and a content expert in areas we work in
- Understand and invest in learning the context surrounding City government and EDC policy and relationships, seek out relevant conferences, talks and networking events to do so
- Contribute proactively to team culture and support an environment of learning and belonging
- Participate actively in team trainings, meetings, and events and suggest areas for continuous improvement
- Proactively manage own professional development with regular check-ins with direct supervisor, informally mentor others
- Passionate about public policy, economic development, strategic planning, and cities (especially New York!)
- Strategic thinker interested in solving some of the most complex economic and policy challenges facing New York City today
- Energetic, proactive, and collaborative
- Experience in project management, balancing competing priorities and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, confident presenting to mid-senior level leaders
- Enjoy working in teams and contributing to a fun and intellectually curious team environment
- Enjoy taking on leadership opportunities
- Undergraduate degree required
- At least 2 years of full-time work experience with preference for 3-5 years. Applicants with less than 2 years’ experience can be considered for a Project Manager role.
- Preference for some work experience in a strategy, operations, and/or project management role within an analytical environment. Experience in local government, public policy, or economic development also valued.
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.