Vice President, Life Sciences and Healthcare
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: With its deep and diverse talent pool, network of premier academic medical centers, lab space, and access to National Institutes of Health and venture funding, New York City has emerged as a major center of life sciences innovation. Now is the time to build on these strengths and invest in the spaces, companies, and talent that will create life-saving cures and treatments, while catalyzing new economic opportunities for the people of this city. Life sciences will continue to play an integral role in creating healthier NYC communities and a stronger economy for all. As the industry continues to mature, the City is committed to investing in early-stage discoveries, furthering development of life sciences spaces, and creating more equitable health outcomes for communities.
A $1 billion investment in life sciences research and development (R&D) and related innovation, LifeSci NYC is expected to create nearly 40,000 new jobs over the next ten years — many accessible to New Yorkers without advanced degrees. NYCEDC is committed to growing the ecosystem in New York City, with a specific focus on:
- Connecting existing researchers and institutions to the resources needed to advance programs to commercialization
- Unlocking space for life sciences companies to grow within the city
- Building a pipeline for the talent and workforce needed to support these companies across the five boroughs
In addition to LifeSci NYC, in response to learning throughout the pandemic, NYCEDC has expanded its efforts with focus on strengthening NYC’s long term health infrastructure and establishing NYC as a global leader in public health training, research, and management.
The VP, Life Sciences and Healthcare will work closely with NYCEDC colleagues as well as external industry stakeholders to lead and support the implementation of a strategically planned portfolio of NYCEDC LifeSci NYC and Healthcare initiatives. These initiatives include a mix of high profile and highly complex programs focused on life science & healthcare infrastructure, specialized real estate, company funding, ecosystem events and activities, and talent/workforce programs. This will include active program management, engagement with key external and internal senior leadership stakeholders, and messaging/communications of these programs.
The VP will cultivate and manage working relationships with stakeholders across the academic, corporate, entrepreneurial and startup, and VC communities as well as across key City agencies. The VP will also manage several cross-functional project teams to drive and deliver on key project milestones and outcomes. Specific tasks may include managing dotted line or direct reports leading their own workstreams or project teams, managing highly complex projects involving multiple stakeholders and multiple organizations; leading high profile meetings and networking at industry events; and producing, presenting, and coaching others to do the same for top quality presentations, senior leadership briefings, and quantitative and qualitative research.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee highest complexity programs and elements of the NYCEDC Life Sciences and Healthcare portfolio (directly and potentially as a manager of others on the team): Ensure project milestones, outcomes and objectives are achieved and communicated to appropriate stakeholders by managing cross-departmental teams and multiple partnerships
- Provide team and President’s Office technical expertise and connect to external expertise as appropriate in life sciences and/or healthcare and develop a comprehensive understanding of economic development opportunities in these areas
- Build and foster relationships with external stakeholders and serve as a point person for the LifeSci NYC and Healthcare initiatives in collaboration with the broader EDC team
- Represent NYCEDC, the Life Sciences and Healthcare Initiatives, and/or the City in external engagements and events to promote programs and City efforts to leaders, companies, developers, and institutions as appropriate
- Leverage exceptional problem-solving skills to focus the team and leadership efficiently, identify key issues/questions, develop and ensure follow through on comprehensive work plans (project scope, timelines, required analyses, individual responsibilities, etc.)
- Ensure that all aspects of contract administration, including RFPs, application, review, approval, funding and compliance, are properly managed
- Create and deliver crisp presentations, as well as provide input / coaching into other project presentations, that effectively communicate key project findings and recommendations to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders, etc.)
- Conduct or oversee primary and secondary research, data gathering and analysis
- Identify opportunities for new program areas and lead new program ideation
- Contribute to and be a leader/role model for personal, team, and department development, including potential to manage several direct reports
- All other duties as required.
- MBA, MPH, Masters Degree or PhD in a Life Sciences and/or Healthcare specific field or other graduate degree strongly preferred
- Deep technical and/or business knowledge of life sciences required. Deep understanding of early stage innovation / startups / VCs preferred
- 10+ years of relevant work experience (e.g., biotechnology companies, management consulting firm, investment banking, strategic planning, program design and execution, partnership management) including strong experience managing teams, operating an organization, and directly interfacing with senior executives at top global corporates, VCs, academic institutions and/or Tech Transfer Offices, and start-ups
- Proven experience and comfort interfacing with senior officials and leaders in the public and private sectors without oversight
- Demonstrated track record of leading, managing, and executing complex projects at top-tier organizations
- Outstanding relationship management, communications (written and verbal) and presentations skills
- Demonstrated track record of developing and maintaining productive working relationships with internal and external clients and parties, including successful cross-functional collaboration on highly complex projects with multiple perspectives
- Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
- Willingness to listen, collect data and find paths to solutions including cutting through red tape
- Experience managing and leading people,teams or matrix projects is a plus
- Ability to build client-ready presentation materials, communication materials and financial models
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills, comfortable reading and interpreting financial models, managing budgets, and conducting ROI analysis, and skill working with data sets
- New York City residency (required within 180 days of hire)
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.