Project Manager, Smart and Sustainable Cities
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Initiatives Department within NYCEDC seeks to understand the rapidly changing landscape of NYC’s key economic sectors and develop and implement innovative initiatives that address specific challenges and opportunities in them.
Initiatives as a department creates, launches and manages portfolios of projects that partner with and impact the following industries and sectors: media, tech (e.g. AR/VR, cybersecurity, AI, Blockchain), urban innovation & sustainability, life sciences, healthcare, fashion & design, and industrial & manufacturing. Initiatives projects are agile, strategic and impact focused.
Project Managers (PMs) in the Initiatives Department manage portfolios of varying complexity and move forward a mix of initiatives that are in the strategy and design, launch, or post-implementation analysis phase. PMs lead cross-functional teams that often involve multiple public and private stakeholders. PMs also play an integral part in developing project strategies by leading primary and secondary research, collaborating with internal research teams, and developing presentations for audiences within NYCEDC, external clients and City Hall. On a day-to-day basis, PMs stay attuned to trends in specific industries and subsectors, implement initiatives in support of these insights, and support the growth and development of relationships with key stakeholders in the private, public and nonprofit sectors.
Your Role: As public policy and market interest have created exciting and rapidly evolving new opportunities in urban development, the PM will support a variety of established and emerging projects across research/ideation, strategy development, and execution stages.
The Project Manager will be responsible for managing and collaborating on programs within the Smart & Sustainable Cities team that focus on the following sectors: clean energy, food/water/waste systems innovation, real estate & construction tech, mobility & logistics, and civic tech. These portfolio focus areas reflect NYC initiatives that catalyze inclusive growth across the five boroughs, address industry challenges, and create opportunities for good-paying jobs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage various work streams and projects, including coordinating cross-functional and cross-departmental project teams, to ensure project objectives are achieved and timelines are met.
- Develop, implement and lead project plans at the beginning of a project, including specific quantitative and qualitative research and analyses, expert interviews, project scoping, timeline development, assignment of roles and responsibilities, etc.
- Create and deliver “stakeholder ready” presentations, memorandums and other materials that effectively communicate project objectives, recommendations and/or findings to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders).
- Provide oversight and management on all aspects of project design, planning, and implementation, including but not limited to:
- RFP drafting and procurement management.
- Budget creation and allocation for current and future project cycles.
- Contract execution
- Handle correspondence with internal departments (e.g. Legal, Budgets, Contracts, etc.)
- And all/any other steps necessary to ensure individual project/initiative success
- Plan, coordinate, and execute large-scale events supporting the portfolio, including industry roundtables, panels, program kick-off and close-out events, and public-private dialogues involving City stakeholders, private companies, academic institutions, and non-profit organizations.
- Lead new partner outreach/acquisition strategy development, project consultant/operator management, ongoing relationship-building within the smart and sustainable cities ecosystem, and awareness-building for the portfolio.
- Actively contribute to portfolio strategy and brainstorming sessions and team building activities.
- Act as a public-facing representative by communicating key updates and providing status reports on project developments, either orally or written, to senior EDC staff and leadership on an ongoing basis.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree required; Master’s in a related field a plus
- 2+ years of professional experience, ideally in a demanding analytical, strategic or entrepreneurial environment; business development and/or public sector experience a plus
- Experience in building efficiency, clean energy, urban agriculture, mobility, circular economy, or other sustainability/urban innovation focus areas
- Knowledge in technology and/or workforce development a plus
- Project management experience; demonstrated ability to design, launch and manage complex projects against tight timelines and various constraints, to prioritize among competing needs, and to manage multiple projects at the same time
- Client relationship or partnership management experience; demonstrated ability to manage professional relationships with stakeholders in a results-oriented environment
- Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
- Displays leadership skills and can execute tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong written and oral communications and presentation skills
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills
- Proactive “self-starter” and “team player”; able to work in collaborative, cross-functional teams
- Enterprising and resourceful, organized and results-oriented
- Comfortable leading meetings and interfacing with internal and external senior officials and business leaders
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.