Project Manager, Life Sciences and Healthcare
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and equitable economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
With its deep and diverse talent pool, network of premier academic medical centers, lab space, and access to National Institutes of Health and venture funding, New York City has emerged as a major center of life sciences innovation. Now is the time to build on these strengths and invest in the spaces, companies, and talent that will create life-saving cures and treatments, while catalyzing new economic opportunities for the people of this city. Life sciences will continue to play an integral role in creating healthier NYC communities and a stronger economy for all. As the industry continues to mature, the City is committed to investing in early-stage discoveries, furthering development of life sciences spaces, and creating more equitable health outcomes for communities.
A $1 billion investment in life sciences research and development (R&D) and related innovation, LifeSci NYC is expected to create nearly 40,000 new jobs over the next ten years — many accessible to New Yorkers without advanced degrees. NYCEDC is committed to growing the ecosystem in New York City, with a specific focus on:
- Connecting existing researchers and institutions to the resources needed to advance programs to commercialization
- Unlocking space for life sciences companies to grow within the city
- Building a pipeline for the talent and workforce needed to support these companies across the five boroughs
In addition to a large focus on LifeSci NYC, in response to learning throughout the pandemic, NYCEDC has expanded its efforts with some focus on strengthening NYC’s long term health infrastructure and establishing NYC as a global leader in public health training, research, and management.
Position Overview: The Initiatives Department within NYCEDC seeks to understand the rapidly-changing landscape of NYC’s key economic sectors, and develop and implement innovative initiatives that address specific challenges and opportunities in them.
Initiatives as a department creates, launches and manages portfolios of projects that partner with and impact the following industries and sectors: fashion, design, emerging & applied technology, urban innovation & sustainability, life sciences, healthcare, industrial & manufacturing, social finance and international affairs. Initiatives projects are agile, strategic and impact driven.
Project Managers (PMs) in NYCEDC’s Initiatives department are responsible for managing projects in varying stages of development and implementation: from ideation & design to launch & administration to post-implementation & closeout. PMs coordinate, communicate, and manage cross-functional project teams that often involve multiple public and private stakeholders. PMs also play an integral part in developing strategy by undertaking primary and secondary research, collaborating with internal research teams, and developing presentations for a variety of internal and external audiences. On a day-to-day basis, PMs stay abreast of trends in various industries, help launch initiatives in support of these insights, and support the growth and development of relationships with stakeholders in the private, public and nonprofit sectors.
PMs work closely with all members of the team to foster a collaborative environment that generates targeted and impactful insights, and innovative ideas and opportunities for public-private partnerships.
This PM role will primarily support the Life Sciences and Healthcare Portfolio within the Initiatives Department's LSHC sub-pillar. These initiatives include a mix of programs focused on life sciences & healthcare expansion and business development, market development, ecosystem events and activities, infrastructure, specialized real estate, company funding, and talent/workforce programs. This will include both active program management in addition to messaging and communications of these programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage various work streams related to assigned Life Sciences and Healthcare business development initiatives in a manner that ensures project objectives are achieved and timelines are met
- Manage aspects of contract administration for LSHC expansion and business development activities specific to the PM’s projects, including RFPs, application, review, approval, funding and compliance, are properly managed
- Assist the planning, coordination, and execution stages of large-scale events and other business development activity relevant to the Healthcare portfolio, including conferences, industry roundtables, panels, program kick-off and close-out events, and public-private dialogues involving City stakeholders, private companies, academic institutions, and non-profit organizations
- Support team efforts in new partner outreach and acquisition, project consultant/operator management, ongoing relationship-building within the healthcare ecosystem, and awareness-building for the LSHC portfolio
- Develop, implement and lead project plans at the beginning of a project, including specific quantitative and qualitative research and analyses, expert interviews, project scoping, timeline development, assignment of roles and responsibilities, etc
- Help create and deliver “stakeholder ready” presentations, memorandums and other materials that effectively communicate project objectives, recommendations and/or findings to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders)
- Conduct primary and secondary research, data gathering and analysis to inform business development efforts
- Provide support on all aspects of project design, planning, and implementation, including but not limited to:
- RFP drafting and procurement management
- Budget creation and allocation for current and future project cycles
- Contract execution
- Correspondence with internal departments (e.g. Legal, Budgets, Contracts, etc.)
- All other steps necessary to ensure individual project/initiative success
- Actively contribute to portfolio strategy and brainstorming sessions and team building activities
- Communicate key updates and provide status reports on project developments, either orally or written, to senior EDC staff and leadership on an ongoing basis
- Perform other duties, as assigned
- Undergraduate degree required
- Preferred 2+ years of relevant professional experience, ideally in a demanding analytical, strategic or entrepreneurial environment; prior public sector and/or New York City government experience a plus
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in life sciences, healthcare, digital health, public health, or health technology strongly preferred
- Project management experience; demonstrated ability to design, launch and manage projects against tight timelines, prioritize amongst competing needs, and to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Client relationship or partnership management experience; demonstrated ability to manage professional relationships with stakeholders in a results-oriented environment
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills including financial analysis, comfort building financial models, and skilled in working with data sets
- Proactive “self-starter” and “team player;” able to work collaboratively within cross-functional teams
- Resourceful, organized and results-oriented with an ability to think strategically and use creative problem solving
- Can execute tasks with minimal supervision
- Comfort interfacing with senior level audiences including public officials and business leaders
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
Position Funding: This position is funded by International Business Development funds provided by external funding. Employment will be contingent upon the continued receipt of funds. Funds are expected until August 31, 2024. Employment at NYCEDC is at will and may be terminated by employee or company at any time regardless of funding.
About Us: NYCEDC is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that creates shared prosperity across New York City by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. NYCEDC works with and for communities to provide them with the resources they need to thrive, and invests in projects that increase sustainability, support job growth, develop talent, and spark innovation to strengthen the City’s competitive advantage.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world.
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.