Project Manager, Strategic Investments Group
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Strategic Investments Group (“SIG”): structures impact investments to drive inclusive economic development by unlocking access to capital, mobilizing private investment, and supporting the growth of strategic sectors. To realize the vision of equitable, sustainable prosperity, SIG structures impact investments utilizing an array of innovative market-based financing solutions. SIG’s impact investment toolkit includes incentives, such as discretionary tax benefits, tax-exempt financing, and tax credits, as well as the deployment of catalytic investment capital through its portfolio of debt & equity funds.
NYCEDC has several tools that can assist in achieving the goals of creating quality, accessible jobs in all five boroughs of New York City. New York City Industrial Development Agency (“NYCIDA”) negotiates discretionary tax incentives on behalf of the City for job-generating commercial, industrial and food retail real estate projects. Build NYC Resource Corporation is NYCEDC’s primary conduit bond issuing authority for tax-exempt financing for 501(c)(3) organizations and exempt facility projects. NYC Neighborhood Capital Corporation is NYCEDCs CDE formed to secure and deploy New Markets Tax Credit allocations to catalyze projects in underserved areas. Finally, NYCEDC maintains several investment vehicles that principally invest in a myriad of transactions to further the Corporation’s mission-aligned goals. Collectively, these tools can bring much-needed investment and services to underserved areas, generate high quality/accessible jobs, and leverage billions of dollars of private sector investment.
Your Role: We are looking for a dynamic Project Manager who will work to develop the New York City economy and make the City more business friendly by overseeing and managing real estate and financing transactions. The Project Manager may work on projects in tax incentives, bond financing, NMTC financing, loan funds or other relevant development finance tools, and will perform financial analysis and assist in developing deal structures.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Managing financing transactions, including scheduling, and coordinating resources of staff from other NYCEDC departments
- Reviewing applications for financial assistance from for-profit and not-for-profit clients, conducting financial analysis of applicant projects, conducting site visits, and facilitating other due diligence, including environmental, legal and background checks
- Using judgement and learned understanding of financial assistance programs to determine whether applicants are eligible for requested financial assistance, clearly communicate informed judgements to senior staff
- Developing a thorough understanding of tax incentive and tax-exempt bond financing programs that are available through the New York City Industrial Development Agency and the Build New York City Resource Corporation, respectively, and then being able to communicate this information to potential applicants
- Analyzing and presenting findings and recommendations to project teams, senior staff and independent Board of Directors in written and verbal form and briefing senior officials of EDC and other City agencies on project statuses
- Advise members of the real estate and business communities about incentives and programs available in New York City
- Design, research, and assist in the administration of new NYCEDC financial assistance programs; perform research and due diligence on new financial program design
- Collaborate with colleagues in other departments in EDC to develop new financial products and programs
- Oral and written communication advocating for, or presenting to, government stakeholders (Board of Directors members, internal decision makers) on financial assistance proposals and new program designs.
- Familiarity with NYC government and an understanding of economic development concepts, theories, and issues.
- Other projects as needed
- Passionate about public policy, economic development, cities, and New York City
- Energetic, proactive, and collaborative
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and public speaking skills
- Comfort interfacing with senior officials and business leaders
- Enjoy working in teams and contributing to a team environment
- Enjoy taking on leadership opportunities
- Undergraduate degree required
- 2-4 years of experience in relevant field (Finance, Real Estate, Public Policy, Urban Planning, City or State government)
- Proven strength in use of spreadsheet, database, and presentation applications including Excel and PowerPoint. Experience creating budgets or financial statements is a plus.
- Preference for candidates with demonstrated interest or experience in New York City, economic development, real estate, or public policy issues.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
- Ability to prioritize competing needs and opportunities
- Understanding of economic development issues
- Project management experience
- Ability to work in a team-based environment as well as working independently
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- New York City residence is required within 180 days
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.