Senior Project Manager, Neighborhood Strategies
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Neighborhood Strategies is situated within NYCEDC’s Planning Division and, together with the Land Use, Ferries, and Transportation Departments, works to promote robust, inclusive growth in the city’s neighborhoods and waterfront. The Planning Division advances major projects that engage communities in planning for their future; help build vibrant, inclusive neighborhoods; advance strategic infrastructure; leverage the City’s public assets; strengthen transportation systems; and promote public access, economic opportunity, and climate resilience.
The Neighborhood Strategies department convenes and coordinates across both internal and external stakeholders, promoting equitable economic development and fostering livable, accessible, resilient neighborhoods. The team is made up of dedicated public servants with a passion for New York City and its people and neighborhoods.
Position Overview: Within Neighborhood Strategies, Senior Project Managers (SPMs) direct and work with interdisciplinary teams to develop and implement plans for complex projects involving multiple stakeholders. They are responsible for working directly with a Neighborhood Strategies Vice President to spearhead inter-departmental and inter-agency coordination.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with interagency working groups on select projects, including large-scale planning and development efforts, meeting frequently to move projects forward and address challenges
- Articulate a vision for and evaluate feasibility of future development, based on sound planning principles and market realities
- Strategically identify next steps to advance projects
- Craft and manage public outreach processes
- Represent the organization in professional and public forums
- Build and maintain relationships with governmental and quasi-governmental entities; civic & community organizations; cultural and professional organizations; real estate and business groups; and advocacy groups
- Help develop phasing and implementation strategies for interim and long-term projects based on sound planning principles, stakeholder support, and market realities
- Other projects and tasks as assigned
- Master's Degree in urban/city planning or related field, including – but not limited to – public policy, geography/GIS, architecture, sociology, business, real estate, engineering, or law, is preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience in planning, urban design, community, and economic development, or the equivalent
- Familiarity with physical planning and the work of shaping the built environment, including land use, climate resiliency, city government process and public approvals, community engagement, urban design, and infrastructure planning
- Demonstrated expertise in project management and creative problem solving
- Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and analytical skills
- Strength in spreadsheets, presentation, and project management applications, e.g., Excel, PowerPoint, and Project
- Experience with structuring and facilitating community planning processes
- Strong understanding of urban infrastructure and economic development issues
- Strong entrepreneurial and leadership ability, including interpersonal and public speaking skills
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.