Vice President, Deputy Director - NYC Ferry
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Ferry Department oversees the operation and expansion of NYC Ferry along with a suite of ferry assets and projects including public and private ferry operations, landing infrastructure, and vessels.
We are looking for a leader who can manage policy matters, project implementation, financial review and executive briefings, and quickly shift between each subject matter.
Your Role: As a member of the Ferry Department, you will report to the Executive Director and have direct managerial oversight for two staff members responsible for customer/external affairs and planning. When Executive Director is not available, the Deputy Director will serve as a surrogate for tasks including coordination with internal or external stakeholders, briefing leadership and serving as a liaison during emergencies. Your specific portfolio will also include management of several tasks related to oversight and expansion of the NYC Ferry system.
This role will generally sit in the NYC Ferry Office in the South Street Seaport with some portion of time stationed at NYCEDC’s main office at One Liberty Plaza.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the Executive Director, NYC Ferry to oversee the day to day operations of the NYC Ferry department.
- As required, provide support to the Operations, Contracts and Finance and Fleet Management aspects of the NYC Ferry Division.
- Ensures that ferry operational and maintenance needs are reflected in all project designs and that new routes/services are launched on time.
- Managerial oversite of the ‘Customer Experience’ and ‘Transit Planning’ functions of the NYC Ferry team, providing support and direction as needed.
- Ensures team performance supports and enhances organizational objectives.
- Creates a culture within the group that requires/supports professional development and career growth.
- Support the Executive Director, NYC Ferry to create a culture of transparency and communication with team, with stakeholders, and throughout the organization.
- Managing special projects as needed.
- Being available for emergency response on ferry operations and landing response.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Masters' degree or equivalent in business, public administration, public policy, law or related field is highly preferred;
- At least 6 years relevant work experience related to transportation, planning, operations, construction, and/or the public sector.
- Demonstrated ability to launch, manage, and close out complex projects against tight timelines, prioritize amongst competing needs, and build strong relationships with stakeholders to ensure clear understanding of deliverables.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven success with leading and managing a diverse and professional staff.
- Preference for maritime-related experience
- Working knowledge of budget preparation, management or adherence preferred
- Experience with owner’s representation, asset and/or property management preferred
- Experience working with or for government agencies preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.