Project Manager, Energy Portfolio
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Portfolio Management department within the Asset Management division manages the overall strategy for conventional and non-traditional assets across all five boroughs of New York City. The portfolio includes commercial real estate properties as well as transportation, port assets, critical infrastructure, and energy assets. As a mission-driven organization, NYCEDC targets not just economic returns but also multiple social metrics including but not limited to job creation and growing equitable neighborhoods. The overall assets are divided into multiple portfolios. The division-wide portfolio encompasses property types including those that are standard in the real estate industry (retail, commercial, industrial), port assets (NY Cruise, rail, maritime and aviation) as well as assets particular to the public sector (public retail and wholesale markets, Broadway and non-profit theaters, and affordable industrial and commercial campuses). In fiscal year 2021, the department actively managed over 220 properties and over 65 million square feet at an over 95% occupancy rate, generating more than $270 million in revenue.
Position Overview: The Project Manager (PM, Energy) manages the development and implementation of critical energy strategies for EDC assets in the Energy Portfolio. The PM reports to the Director of Energy and will collaborate with the Energy team. The PM’s primary function is to execute key strategies within the Energy portfolio but they will also be central to conceptualizing the teams’ strategy for achieving EDC’s portfolio goals of: 1) operational excellence in facility energy management, 2) portfolio-wide optimization of energy costs, and 3) deployment of assets for distributed energy resources.
The skills and responsibilities that the Project Manager will need to support the three strategies include relationship management, energy analysis, energy planning and project development, budgeting and financial optimization, as well as developing cumulative and asset-specific energy strategies, and portfolio-wide performance measures. A critical aspect of the PM’s role will be working effectively with other EDC divisions to develop energy strategies throughout the diverse asset classes within the portfolio that facilitate compliance with current City Local Laws for building energy efficiency and distributed generation as well as align EDC with the long-term strategies of the City and State goals for sustainability, energy efficiency and grid carbon neutrality. The PM will also help with special projects at properties such as the Hunts Point Food Distribution Center and the Sunset Park campuses. This role will also supervise matrixed team members to carry out financial and policy analysis, tenant engagement, project management, and contract administration.
- Lead the execution of individual energy strategies for operational excellence in facility energy management, portfolio-wide optimization of energy costs, and deployment of assets for distributed energy resources.
- Lead programs to increase building energy performance through energy efficiency retrofits, green leasing practices, and strategic energy sourcing
- Evaluate and execute upon opportunities for new energy asset development, drafting and administering procurements and/or capital projects to develop, expand, or reposition energy assets.
- Measure policy impacts of energy efforts on net income generation and portfolio-wide net zero attainment.
- Coordinate with other asset managers and portfolios for energy-related tenant engagement and negotiations.
- Perform financial analysis for energy capital projects, communications (including presentations), project management, asset management and negotiations.
- Participate in special projects with City Hall, including direct interaction with the Deputy Mayor and City Hall staff.
- Prepare necessary contract documents, RFP’s, reports and presentations as needed for project implementation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and at least 4 years of experience in the energy sector, engineering consulting, economic development, city or regional planning, asset management, and/or a related field. In all cases, candidates should have experience working on energy for an asset portfolio.
- An independent and strategic thinker with the ability take ownership of a project
- Highly proficient in project management as well as energy analysis, financial analysis, alternatives analysis and other forms of quantitative decision-making
- Energetic, creative, and detail-oriented project management skill set
- Strong interpersonal written, verbal, and analytical skills
- Fluency in Microsoft Office
- New York City residency (required within 180 days of hire)
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
- Master’s Degree in a related field
- Relevant qualifications such as licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.), Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Energy Auditor (CEA), etc.
- Proficiency in energy data management and analysis (Excel or database tools such as Python, R, etc.)
- Experience and understanding of building energy systems (HVAC, Controls, lighting, building-tied distributed energy resources)
- Understanding of New York City and State energy-related laws and sustainability/energy efficiency targets. Specifically LL84, LL87, LL97 and the energy targets of OneNYC 2050 and the State’s Climate Leadership and Communities Protection Act.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!