The Engineering Manager, under the direction of the Associate Vice President for Engineering, is responsible for day-to-day operations of the Engineering Department functions serving all NYBG facilities. Responsibilities include direct and indirect supervision of the management team and union staff for all shifts, task assignments and equipment maintenance.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organization culture throughout the institution.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise daily operation including troubleshooting and repairs ofal I HVAC systems, steam, chilled water systems, hot water systems, refrigeration systems, cooling towers, primary and secondary electrical distribution, emergency generators, domestic water distribution, fire detection and suppression systems and other mechanical related facility equipment.
- Operate computerized Building Management System (BMS), and respond to all critical alarms as they relate to temperature, relative humidity, and differential pressure for all areas and facilities.
- Supervise the staff on preventive maintenance, round logs, and physical tours to ensure facility and equipment functionality and maintenance activities comply with departments' regulations and institution policies.
- Promote a safe, functional, and supportive environment for students, visitors, and staff by ensuring completion of daily assignments and inspection, as per the departments' establishments and directives.
- Assist the management team in providing 24/7 on call technical support to all shifts.
- Oversee staff scheduling and emergency staff coverage.
- Available to work on weekends and holidays as needed.
- At least ten (10) years in mechanical trades' including HVAC, plumbing, steam, chilled water systems, hot water systems, cooling towers, refrigeration principles and controls, electrical and power generation, fire detection and suppression systems, with ability to troubleshoot and accurately diagnose existing and potential problems.
- At least three (3) supervisory experience including experience with union employees, and leading, coaching and managing trade-workers.
- High School Diploma is required.
- Associate degree in Engineering or equivalent trade school education is preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Must have good analytical troubleshooting and HVAC maintenance management skills
- Ability to read electrical, HVAC and plumbing schematics.
- Working knowledge of power transfer technology including mechanics, pneumatics and hydraulics.
- Knowledge of high and low voltage distribution.
- Knowledge of chemical water testing and treatment methods and procedures.
- Proficient in all HVAC, Electrical, Building Management Systems and specialty tools.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, good documentation skills, organizational and interpersonal skills.
Required Licenses and Certificates:
- Q01- Refrigeration License (COQ)
- EPA608 - Universal Technician Certification
- 7G - Commercial Pesticide Applicator for Cooling Towers
- S12 - City Wide Fire-Sprinkler System Operator
- S13 - City Wide Standpipe System Operator
- S95 - Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems
- A35 - Operate and Maintain Air Compressors.
- P99 - Operate and Maintain Low Pressure Oil Burner
- 15 Vacation Days
- 13 Paid Holidays
- 12 Sick Days
- Health and Dental Insurance Coverage
- Pension Plan
Please be advised, as a term and condition of accepting a job offer the candidate for employment must submit proof of full vaccination. Candidates for employment unable to submit proof of full vaccination at the time of the offer will not be considered for employment.
This policy is subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the American for Disabilities Act (ADA) and other EEO consideration. If you believe that because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief that you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or exemption to this policy please contact [email protected].
If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at [email protected]
EOE/BIPOC/F/Persons with disabilities/Veterans