Core Systems Engineering Intern (C++/Golang, Containers, Kubernetes, Distributed Systems)
Hungry, Humble, Honest, with heart!
Role: Core Systems Engineering Intern
This role is fully remote.
A summer internship at Nutanix is an opportunity to gain exposure to one or more areas according to your skill set and interests. If you’re interested in the following type of work, the Core Systems Engineering Internship would be perfect for you!
We are looking for interns who are passionate about working on scalable distributed systems. You will be part of the team that owns the data path and state management for services like Object Storage, Key-Value Stores, Kubernetes Container Storage, etc. The internship will span work across areas including data path protocols, distributed state management using infrastructures like etcd, Zookeeper, and optimization of key/value stores such as RocksDB and Cassandra.
This position requires knowledge of the fundamentals of distributed systems and enterprise computing. We will work together to deliver on a project that not only brings value to the Nutanix business but also helps you grow professionally. Some former projects include:
- Characterize RAFT consensus protocol performance
- Enhance MapReduce Background processing on Nutanix Object Store to support batch S3 operations
- Supporting RocksDB scale-out infrastructure by splitting partitions across database stores
- Performance characterization of CoreDNS on k8s to scale to millions of DNS entries
Each intern is paired with a Member of Technical Staff who serves as a guide/mentor through our engineering culture, toolsets, and development methodology. Our internship program also includes a series of lunch and learns, soft-skill workshops, an Intern hackathon, and social gatherings (virtual or in-person where permitted) to expose you to other aspects of a rapidly growing technology company.
Engineering at Nutanix
Nutanix engineers are creating revolutionary technology: building the software-defined data center. We're using our love of programming and outstanding backgrounds to change the way companies virtualize their data centers. At Nutanix, you'll find no shortage of challenging problems to work on. We work closely with our product in a collaborative environment that encourages the open exploration of ideas. We are looking for students who can learn, grow and contribute to our space of cutting-edge innovation.
- Learn extensively about distributed systems for storage, k8s container environments
- Work together with a mentor to define project objectives and key results
- Interact with various key stakeholders required to complete the project
- Participate in the New Hire R&D Bootcamp to gain a high-level understanding of the Nutanix product suite, various tools, and processes
- Participate in U-Hack (Nutanix Intern Hackathon), which is a way to interact with other R&D interns and derive innovative solutions to various roadblocks across the organization
- Presenting your work both internally and externally where applicable
What You’ll Bring
- You are pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related engineering field.
- Have taken courses or completed research in the areas of operating systems, distributed systems, algorithms and data structures, or cloud computing
- Love of programming and skilled in one of the following languages: C++, C, Golang, Python
- Extensive knowledge or experience with Linux or other Unix operating systems
- Ability to explore existing code and figure out solutions to open-ended problems.
- The passion & ability to learn new things while never being satisfied with the status quo.
- You have less than 2 years of professional experience.
About the Opportunity
What a former Nutanix Intern had to say!
Some of the lessons that I've learned throughout my internship are; regardless of how simple the question may be, you should always ask your mentor, that's what they're there to do. They’re there to help you throughout your internship regardless of the questions that you have. And, if you're designing something or you're doing something maybe from scratch, it's good to always start small and simple before you ever overcomplicate the problem. – Myles T.
How We Work
This is a fully remote role. You will stay connected to your manager, mentor and peers through regular Zoom meetings and daily Slack chats. Learn more about Nutanix, or take an in-depth look into our platform architecture with the Nutanix Bible (provides in-depth technical information about the Nutanix platform architecture and a better understanding of why we require interns with a system-centric programming background)!
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $35 and $53/hour; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Nutanix is an equal opportunity employer.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy is to provide fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability. Nutanix hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Nutanix believes that associates should be provided with a working environment that enables each associate to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.