Director, Privacy Counsel
Director, Privacy Counsel
Nutanix is looking for an experienced Privacy counsel to join our strong and growing legal team as a Director, Privacy Counsel. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly adaptable and collaborative team player to join a growing, fast-paced cloud technology company to continue architecting a best-of-breed global privacy compliance program. Our legal group has built a reputation as a change agent; a team that embraces innovative business models, pioneering service delivery, technology, and business process best practices to help Nutanix achieve great things. The Director, Privacy Counsel will be involved in complex and challenging privacy issues across all facets of the business.
You will collaborate across Nutanix to continue to incorporate privacy in everything we do - implementing policies and processes while providing guidance, education, and tools, to facilitate adoption of our products and to make Nutanix a trusted brand for privacy and security. This role requires a proactive legal operative with a bias for action, a self-starter who loves and understands enterprise technology, builds strong, collaborative relationships with business stakeholders, takes initiative to drive complex, cross-functional projects and is not afraid to step outside of the comfort zone to tackle the task of the day.
- Partner with Product Development, Security, Information Technology, Marketing, and HR to implement best practices for management and protection of personal data and to develop, deploy and enforce appropriate standards and processes
- Support the Product and Engineering teams in applying privacy by design principles, conducting privacy assessments, and creating privacy collateral for customers and partners
- Guide Marketing, HR, and IT teams in meeting privacy obligations, including conducting DPIAs and data mapping
- Work with commercial attorneys globally to facilitate negotiation of privacy and security terms with customers and suppliers including customer, vendor and partner DPAs, as well as by providing training, templates and contract reviews
- Support privacy compliance and efforts by working with internal audit, impacted teams across the company, and external stakeholders (including auditors and regulators) as needed, providing guidance for audits, and facilitating development and implementation of controls, tools, policies, and procedures required for achieving and maintaining certifications
- Provide legal advice and direction to all stakeholders across the company on the changing landscape of matters regarding privacy and data protection
- Develop and deliver training and communications on privacy topics
- Manage a privacy analyst and outside counsel on privacy matters
- 8+ years of legal experience in the enterprise technology sector, with a mix of privacy and technology transactions experience
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently across the organization, including successfully initiating, managing, and completing simultaneous projects and privacy initiatives with cross-functional teams under deadline pressure
- Qualified to practice in at least one U.S. state, preferably California, with a law degree from a reputable law school
- Knowledge of national and international privacy laws, including command of GDPR, CCPA, and HIPAA as it applies to Business Associates
- Experience in negotiating cloud computing (commercial and development) transactions and procurement contracts, especially as pertains to data privacy considerations
- Sense of humor, excellent interpersonal skills, business judgment, strategic thinking, superior work ethic, flexibility, ability to work independently and a passion for cutting-edge technology
- Superior language, written and verbal communication skills
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Jose, California, Nutanix is a passionate team of 6000+ employees worldwide. Our people (we call ourselves “Nutants”) are the heartbeat of #LifeAtNutanix and one of the many things that makes Nutanix a great place to work at. We share an intellectual curiosity, a bias for action, and an obsession for our customers. We are builders and problem solvers with an entrepreneurial spirit. Above all, we celebrate what makes each of us unique.
We’re growing fast and disrupting the computing industry. Join us and make your mark.
About our business
Nutanix is a global leader in cloud software and a pioneer in hyperconverged infrastructure solutions, making computing invisible anywhere. Companies around the world use Nutanix software to leverage a single platform to manage any app, at any location, at any scale for their private, hybrid and multi-cloud environments.
We’re an equal opportunity employer
Nutanix is an Equal Employment Opportunity and (in the U.S.) an Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or any other category protected by applicable law. We hire and promote individuals solely on the basis of qualifications for the job to be filled.
We strive to foster an inclusive working environment that enables all our Nutants to be themselves and to do great work in a safe and welcoming environment, free of unlawful discrimination, intimidation or harassment.
As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by contacting [email protected]
Nutanix is an equal opportunity employer.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy is to provide fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability. Nutanix hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Nutanix believes that associates should be provided with a working environment that enables each associate to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.