SMTS/ Staff Engineer - Linux Kernel
AHV Hypervisor: IC5/IC6:
The Elevator Pitch: Why will this be interesting to the best systems engineers out there?
Nutanix AHV builds on top of the open-source x86-KVM stack, with an emphasis on performance, scale, and reliability. The hyperconverged nature of our stack provides the phenomenal potential for optimizations cutting across various parts of our stack -- right from the kernel, and ranging up to, but not limited by, the management layer.
We are looking for original thinkers who won't hesitate to challenge conventional thought in arriving at out-of-the-box solutions.
We aim to work as closely aligned with the open-source community as possible. Our engineers are highly encouraged to participate in open source community development. Any work you do will be preserved as open-source commit(s) for posterity!
A day in the life of an AHV Hypervisor Engineer:
Problems you’ll solve:
- We’ve always believed in challenging the status quo and disrupting ourselves to provide the best in class customer experience. A case in point: Nutanix is well known for providing a zero-touch upgrade experience to our customers. Within the hypervisor team, we are focussing on various ways to make this faster and more reliable -- by pushing the limits of VM live migrations towards speed and predictability, or rethinking why a hypervisor upgrade should need a reboot at all.
Success in the role:
You’ll be working with a team of extremely talented engineers across a spectrum of geographies and experience. The most successful candidate for this role will be someone who can:
- Constantly look for ways to improve the product, learning from customer asks and not limited to existing technologies.
- Devise solutions and back them up with solid research and numbers to prove their efficacy.
- Have the ability to convey ideas to a geographically diverse audience using excellent communication/writing skills.
- Participate in design discussions, often outside one’s known comfort zone -- learning on the go.
- Proactively mentor junior members of the team, finding ways to fuel their intellectual curiosity and leverage their unique strengths.
- Not hesitate to help out with occasional customer escalations: Nutanix believes in putting customers first. While we have a huge, dedicated team to assist customers with any issues, there might be situations where engineering help might be sought to bail out a rare, unfortunate outage.
- Take pride in working with open source communities to fold product improvements back into community projects.
Skills you’ll use every day, and good-to-have ones:
- The must-haves:
- Rock-solid OS/systems fundamentals to drive design and implementation.
- Low-level coding, debugging experience with at least one hardware architecture, preferably x86.
- Ability to write and maintain enterprise-quality code.
- Deep reasoning and analytical skills, which provide top-down thinking to break down abstract concepts into actionable pieces.
- Proven feature delivery experience: should have 8+ years of hands-on experience in what it means to ship enterprise-quality code to customers.
- The good-to-haves:
- Knowledge of x86 virtualization and the KVM stack.
- Code contributions to the Linux kernel/virtualization stack is an added plus.
Desired qualification & experience:
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer science or equivalent.
- 8+ years of experience building enterprise-grade software, preferably some part with leadership experience.
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Jose, California, Nutanix is a passionate team of 6000+ employees worldwide. Our people (we call ourselves “Nutants”) are the heartbeat of #LifeAtNutanix and one of the many things that makes Nutanix a great place to work at. We share an intellectual curiosity, a bias for action, and an obsession for our customers. We are builders and problem solvers with an entrepreneurial spirit. Above all, we celebrate what makes each of us unique.
We’re growing fast and disrupting the computing industry. Join us and make your mark.
About our business
Nutanix is a global leader in cloud software and a pioneer in hyperconverged infrastructure solutions, making computing invisible anywhere. Companies around the world use Nutanix software to leverage a single platform to manage any app, at any location, at any scale for their private, hybrid and multi-cloud environments.
We’re an equal opportunity employer
Nutanix is an Equal Employment Opportunity and (in the U.S.) an Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or any other category protected by applicable law. We hire and promote individuals solely on the basis of qualifications for the job to be filled.
We strive to foster an inclusive working environment that enables all our Nutants to be themselves and to do great work in a safe and welcoming environment, free of unlawful discrimination, intimidation or harassment.
As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by contacting [email protected]
Nutanix is an equal opportunity employer.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy is to provide fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability. Nutanix hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Nutanix believes that associates should be provided with a working environment that enables each associate to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.