Civil Engineer IV-Sr, Infrastructure IPT Lead (4652)
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announces an opportunity for a full-time Civil & Infrastructure Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead. The IPT Lead will have a direct role in the design and construction of the next generation Very Large Array (ngVLA), by being responsible for leading a multi-disciplinary engineering team through the design phase, completing key design reviews, and planning and managing the construction and qualification of systems needed to complete the array.
Generally, the Team Lead will provide project and technical leadership for the ngVLA Civil & Infrastructure IPT. This group of engineers will specify, develop, and oversee installation of the buildings and utilities necessary to deploy the radio astronomy antennas and supporting infrastructure. The candidate will also interact with other IPT Leads and the ngVLA Project Office in order to ensure the team meets project cost, schedule, and technical requirements and milestones.
The position will be based in either Albuquerque, NM or Socorro, NM. The NRAO Domenici Science Operations Center is located in Socorro, NM on the campus of New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (www.nmt.edu). Socorro is a small, historical city in the Rio Grande Valley, 75 miles south of Albuquerque. The NRAO Albuquerque Office is located in the Science and Technology Park on the South Campus of the University of New Mexico (www.unm.edu). Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico with a wide variety of restaurants, entertainment, and cultural events. With over 300 days of sunshine each year, both cities offer ample access to outdoor recreation.
In addition to competitive pay, NRAO provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective the first day of employment. NRAO’s retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participant’s base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.
Job Duties Summary
Duties of the Civil & Infrastructure Integrated Product Team Lead:
- Responsible for the technical management, planning, coordination, and communication of the engineering team responsible for delivering buildings, roads, antenna foundations, utilities, and other related deliverables.
- Manage the team’s work against the established budget and schedule baselines.
- Oversees execution of requirements development, system design, integration, verification and validation of system and subsystem IPT work products, in coordination with the Systems Engineering manager.
- Develops basis of estimates, cost proposals and updates of schedules to reflect design progress and progressive project plan elaboration.
- Prepares bid packages and manages subawards to 3rd party vendors for design studies, sub-systems or components within the Civil & Infrastructure IPT deliverables.
- Make informed decisions and determinations in the design, procurement, manufacture, and testing of deliverable products.
- Responsible for recruitment and training of team members
- Carry out technical supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Observatory’s policies.
- Supervise and hold performance evaluation authority for direct team members.
- Proactively comply with NRAO and government safety policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned, relevant to the scope of this role.
Work is typically performed in a research or development environment; will be required to stand and sit, and perform fine hand manipulation. Must work near moving mechanical parts and/or with electrical equipment. Occasionally required to climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, and crouch. May occasionally work at high altitudes, and in high, precarious places and in outside weather conditions, and may be exposed to chemicals, or the risk of electrical shock. Some travel may be required to other NRAO sites.
BS Mechanical or Civil Engineering or related field
Advanced degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering or related field
Five years of experience in a combination of the following areas:
- Leading multi-disciplinary Mechanical or Civil hardware groups or teams
- Leading technical teams through requirements and design development phases
- Experience managing interfaces within a complex system
- Experience developing integration, test, and production plans
- Budgeting and planning of programs or proposals
- Project leadership and management
- Developing and presenting technical briefings
- A basic familiarity of power electrical systems and backup power systems
Five or more years of experience in the “Minimum Experience” items plus experience in the following areas:
- Model-Based Systems Engineering experience using the SysML modeling language
- Experience with issue tracking and configuration management tools
- Experience with requirements management tools
- Experience with project management and scheduling tools, such as MS Project and Primavera
An excellent understanding of mechanical or civil engineering is required. Excellent presentation, oral and written skills is required to facilitate effective and efficient communication with colleagues. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office programs and engineering management software tools. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Familiarity is needed with computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment in designing equipment, components, systems or structures for radio telescopes and related systems. Experience is needed in production processes and quality management.
The Observatory requires staff to be fully vaccinated against covid-19 to access our facilities. An offer of employment will be considered contingent until the selected applicant provides proof of vaccination. A selected applicant may request consideration for an accommodation for a disability or for a sincerely held religious belief.
Click the “Apply” button below. You will need to be prepared to upload your current CV/Resume and a letter of application describing interest and suitability for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
AUI is an equal opportunity employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. To view our complete statement, please visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/jobs. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request by sending an email to [email protected].
The NRAO is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)