PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
To assist in the management of all warehouse functions to ensure consistent and efficient receipt, storage and shipment of goods to other Company operations and customers in a manner which will enable the Company to achieve established sales and profit goals.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Works with Supervisors in establishing goals and guidelines intended to improve warehouse methods and procedures, work requirements and schedules, distribution quality, safety and operating costs.
Works with Supervisors to monitor approved goals for compliance, takes appropriate corrective action when needed and communicates recommendations for changes or updates when necessary.
Provides direction and guidance over warehouse operations to ensure the accuracy, timely receipt stocking of Company merchandise, timely picking and shipping of goods and an acceptable level of high quality performance is achieved.
Monitors established safety programs for compliance using Company requirements and Occupational Safety Health Administration regulations. Maintains and monitors housekeeping standards to promote safe and efficient operations and recommends changes where necessary and updates when needed.
Works with Supervisors to monitor day to day warehouse operations for efficiency. Develops plans for improvements, recommends changes in operations and equipment to supervisor and helps implement plans when approved.
Works with Supervisors to ensure that an adequate inventory of shipping and other warehouse supplies is maintained.
Works with Supervisors to monitor building security and to ensure high security standards are maintained for the distribution center and its contents and recommends updates or changes when needed.
Organizes and schedules employee work assignments and job duties and monitors their training progress to ensure that warehouse operations are performed in a smooth and efficient manner.
Supervises and manages employees as it relates to all projects or related work, establishes performance requirements, clarifies responsibilities of those supervised, conducts performance appraisals and plans for individual employee development.
Keeps Supervisor informed of important developments, potential problems, and related information necessary for effective management. Coordinates and communicates plans and activities with others, as appropriate to ensure a coordinated work effort and team approach.
Oversees the utilization of and drives efficiency through the Labor Management program
Provides planning and implementation support, as requested for all capital expenditure projects.
Acts as primary liaison for Distribution Center to customers and Corporate office partners.
Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum of a high school diploma. College degree preferred.
- 1-3 years advanced technical training.
- 1-3 years of related warehouse experience.
- 1-3 years of supervisory experience.
- Strong people skills with the ability to relate to other departments’ needs and concerns while still being able to accomplish the Company’s goals.
- Thorough knowledge of Company policies and procedures as they relate to the Operations department.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable warehouse methods and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure the on-schedule receiving, stocking, picking, and shipping of Company products.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to administer policies and employee relations programs which emphasize both the Company and the employees.
- Strong leadership and sound decision making abilities.
- Strong background in warehouse management systems and engineered standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with all levels of Company personnel and outside vendors.
- Demonstrates Northern Tool + Equipment’s Core Competencies
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to handle objects and talk or hear.
- Frequent wrist and/or hand movement is required.
- Occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distant vision and the ability to adjust focus.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
- Direct supervision of:
- 3-5 exempt employees
- 1-2 non exempt employees
Indirect supervision of:
- 80-100 non-exempt employees
This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an entire list of all activities, tasks and skills required of people in the position.