Small Engine Mechanic
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
To service and perform repairs on products in a prompt, safe, effective, and profitable manner. To perform sales and related service activities in a professional, courteous, reliable and results-oriented manner.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Repairs all products sold by the Company that are purchased by customers and brought to the store for repair. Promotes customer relations and satisfaction by completing jobs on schedule or connecting with customers, in a timely manner, to give them updates on issues such as unattainable replacement parts and warranty issues.
- Remains informed and certified on all products sold by the Company by improving technical knowledge as needed to perform effectively, demonstrate and explain products to customers to ensure proper and safe operation.
- Assists all customers and potential customers in a professional, courteous, reliable, attentive, honest and responsive manner by identifying their needs. Provides knowledgeable assistance, loads and unloads equipment and maintains a high level of service standards by performing work in a manner which consistently achieves a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Sources all parts for stock and repairs, orders parts, follows up on backorders and recommends stocking of new product or ‘number on hand’ to maintain an accurate ‘on hand’ inventory of replacement parts and to ensure parts and supplies are readily available to repair customer’s products and better serve the customer.
- Uses technical expertise to estimate the cost to repair all equipment that the Company is certified to repair and prepares all related paperwork such as written quotes, invoices and reports in a punctual and complete manner.
- Submits all warranty claims through the proper channels and ensures the Company gets reimbursed when applicable.
- Maintains a neat and orderly work environment, including all product displays and works safely and complies with all established safety rules and work practices.
- Keeps Hazmat file up to code, per federal guidelines, with proper forms and documentation on file.
- Responds to phone calls from customers or potential customers in a courteous and timely manner.
- Protects the store against theft or other suspicious activity by immediately reporting suspicious activity to manager on duty.
- Maintains proper vendor certifications for prescribed vendors and completes updates as required.
- Participates in all non-commissionable events deemed necessary by the Company such as physical inventories, sales meetings, trade shows and special sales.
- Keeps supervisor informed of important information developments, potential problems, and related information necessary for effective management. Coordinates and communicates plans and activities with others, as appropriate, to ensure a coordinated work effort and team approach.
- Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school education or equivalent.
- At least one year of related technical training preferred.
- At least one year of related work experience in mechanical repair and light industrial products. Ability to communicate effectively with others including customers.
- Good troubleshooting and diagnostic skills.
- Strong service orientation.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Familiar with the basic use of PC.
- Demonstrates Northern Tool + Equipment’s 12 Core Competencies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to use hands to handle objects; and talk or hear.
- Ability to lift up to 70 pounds.
- Frequent bending, twisting, stooping, reaching and lifting.
- Required to stand on cement floor for long periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS: