Sr. Director, Divisional Merchandising
Northern Tool + Equipment is family-owned retailer. We are currently seeking a talented Sr. Director, Divisional Merchandising who wishes to share their resourcefulness, ideas, and expertise to build lasting relationships by providing the right solution to our customers. We are a growing company with plans to expand into new markets and our looking to build our team with great leaders who are focused on developing and supporting their team to success.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
The Senior Director of Merchandising will develop and execute an omni-channel merchandising strategy that delivers a superior proposition for Northern Tool current and future customers. This position works closely with cross-functional teams including vendors, retail, direct, marketing, insights, product development, and other corporate functions to ensure that the product assortment supplied to the customer is differentiated and will maximize sales and profitability. This position builds brand equity and profitability by maintaining a deep understanding of the tool and equipment customer’s current and future needs and ensuring that those needs are met at Northern Tool. The Senior Director is responsible to select, develop and engage high performing and diverse individuals and teams.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Responsible for the P&L performance of assigned division.
- Identifies business opportunities and threats based on careful and timely analysis of trends, consumer research, competitors, and vendor relationships, and develops merchandising strategies accordingly.
- Develops transformational and innovative strategies with 5 year roadmaps that translate to actionable tactics that execute and meet or exceed financial objectives including sales, gross margin, and inventory turn.
- Develops strategic growth plans across omni-channel format for large, complex and high growth potential categories by identifying market and industry trends that meet diverse customer needs.
- Translates innovative merchandising strategies into actions that drive revenue growth and create a differentiated market position that fulfill unmet customer needs.
- Converts consumer insights and research, historical data, sales data, and principles of segmentation into clear plans with achievable objectives that build brand equity, consumer relativity, and contribute positively to business outcomes.
- Maintains accountability for merchandise division performance, recommends revisions to the merchandise plan/forecast based on sound analysis and ensures corrective actions are implemented.
- Leads and collaborates across company-wide strategic initiatives to drive revenue, margin growth and process improvement.
- Maintains effective relationships with vendors while negotiating and providing feedback and developing new partnerships that align with the category(s) growth strategy
- Leads monthly cross-functional business reviews with Merchandising, Planning, and Allocations Teams.
- Participates in key external customer touch points to ensure clear understanding of strategy, performance and product opportunities
- Partners with brand leadership to deliver key looks, volume drivers, big Ideas for the seasons
- Actively participates in appropriate business reviews and in-season product movement decisions
- Keeps supervisor informed of important developments, potential problems and related information necessary for effective management. Coordinates and communicates plans and activities with others, as appropriate, to ensure a coordinated work effort and team approach.
- Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a Merchandising related field.
- At least 10 years of related Merchandising, Marketing or Retail strategy experience.
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Prior P&L management experience
- Strong working knowledge of the tool and equipment industry preferred
- Ability to plan, prepare and execute strategic business plans
- Ability to follow through and keep multiple projects on schedule simultaneously.
- Ability to work accurately with numbers and details.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a wide variety of company and vendor personnel.
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- Demonstrates Northern Tool + Equipment’s Core Values
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Frequently required to sit; use hands to handle objects; talk and hear.
- Frequently wrist and/or hand movement required.
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequent bending, twisting, stooping, reaching and lifting.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
At Northern Tool & Equipment We Offer:
- A fast-growing nationwide brand – over 121 locations in 22 states.
- Competitive wages plus commission.
- Clean and organized work environment.
- Supplied tools and uniforms.
- A defined training program to support your success.
- Competitive benefits package: health, retirement, employee assistance and more!
- Generous employee discount at all of the Kotula family of companies – Northern Tool & Equipment, Tractorseats.com, Great Northern Equipment.
Northern Tool + Equipment is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.