Assistant Store Manager
Northern Tool + Equipment is currently hiring Future Assistant Store Managers for our Chicagoland Market
Northern Tool + Equipment is family-owned retailer that seeks talented people leaders who wish to share their initiative, ideas and expertise to build lasting relationships by providing the right solution to our customers. We are a growing company with plans to expand into new markets and need to build our bench with great leaders who are focused on developing and supporting the team to succeed.
To train to become a Assistant Store Manager of a future store while learning the company processes in the role of Assistant Store Manager in an existing store. You will learn to lead the store operations team in a manner which ensures that all retail sales and related activities are performed in a professional, courteous, reliable and results-oriented manner. All Future Store Managers for the Chicagoland Market will train in our new location in Merrillville, IN.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
To lead and coordinate delegated store functions in a manner which will ensure retail sales and related activities are
performed in a professional, courteous, reliable and results-oriented manner.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
1. Leads and coordinates assigned functions and personnel under the guidance and direction of the Store Manager.
Ensures adequate employee coverage throughout all business hours within established guidelines.
2. Assists Store Manager with personnel matters by providing work direction, input on performance management
activities including disciplinary actions, and participating in the employee interview process. Coaches employees to
ensure employees are following and providing the Company approved Customer Service Standards.
3. Answers questions from store personnel on products and procedures and acts as point of escalation for questions.
Provides technical expertise when needed.
4. Acts as the Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned or needed including being responsible for opening and closing the
store premises according to established policies and procedures. Effectively handles customer concerns and
escalated questions within the guidelines established by the Company. Seeks guidance from Store Manager when
needed for additional input.
5. Balances all money received according to established procedures and Store Operating Platforms (SOPs). Works
with Store Manager to investigate discrepancies with Loss Prevention (LP) and take corrective action when
necessary. Follows the process to ensure inventory at store is properly managed to meet Company inventory
standards, as measured by regular cycle counts, internal audits and physical inventories.
6. Actively seeks to minimize shrinkage of inventory and protect the store against shoplifting and internal theft. Ensures
that the Company’s assets are adequately protected against theft or other suspicious activity by complying with all
Company LP policies including securing store keys, maintaining confidential alarm codes and ensuring alarm is
enabled during off-hours.
7. Implements changes in the store showroom by making sure all displayed merchandise is properly priced and signed,
stock is rearranged to promote sales, new product is effectively displayed and the showroom is consistently
maintained to ensure a neat and orderly sales environment, including all demonstration fixtures, product displays
and work areas as per Company merchandising standards.
8. Completes all merchandising programs in a timely manner including all planogram line reviews and revisions.
Planogram revisions include promotional programs.
9. Supports all Company sponsored promotions and seeks to maximize alternate sources of revenue including but not
limited to ensuring Service Protection Plan (SPP) sales, approved credit card applications, parts, billing of technical
hours, warranty claims, add on sales, and commercial business growth meet or exceed Company established goals.
10. Prices or assists in the pricing of discontinued and surplus items and coordinates the sale of such merchandise.
11. Recommends new products and coordinates such recommendations with the Store Manager and the Purchasing
Department. Provides input for Retail and Merchandising meetings. Notifies Merchandising of recurrent stock-out
situations or abnormal sales trends.
12. Participates in all non-commissioned events deemed necessary by the Company such as sales meetings, trade
13. Keeps supervisor informed of important developments, potential problems, and related information necessary for
effective management. Coordinates and communicates plans and activities with others, as appropriate, to ensure a
coordinated work effort and team approach.
14. Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• High school education or equivalent.
• At least 1 year related retail sales experience.
• Ability and willingness to provide effective guidance and coaching to employees.
• Strong customer service and problem solving skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a wide variety of customers, Company personnel,
• Ability to operate and use a Personal Computer (PC) with working knowledge of Microsoft Office Skills including
Word, Outlook, and Excel.
• High mechanical aptitude including having knowledge of light industrial products, hydraulics, etc preferred.
• Ability to maintain a working knowledge of the company’s intranet including related Store Operating Platforms
• Required to be part of 24-hour security company call list for off hour alarm issues.
• Occasional ability to travel to other locations, including out of state travel when needed or directed.
• Ability to work a schedule that maintains effective store operations.
• Demonstrates Northern Tool + Equipment’s 12 Core Competencies
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Frequently required to use hands to handle objects; and talk or hear.
• Ability to lift up to 70 pounds.
• Frequent bending, twisting, stooping, reaching and lifting.
• Required to stand on cement floor for long periods of time.
• Specific vision abilities required include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
Direct supervision of:
Indirect supervision of:
2-15 Non-exempt employees