Sr. Indirect Tax Analyst
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
To lead the implementation and maintenance of indirect tax technology solutions in order to help support the Company in its efforts to comply with state and local sales and use tax, excise tax, and unclaimed property laws and regulations.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
1. Manages indirect tax audits for North American operations from planning to completion to ensure conformity with all laws and regulations.
2. Negotiates and defends tax positions with jurisdictional auditors. Reviews, accepts, or rejects audit findings. Protests audit findings with management’s approval.
3. Performs tax research and analysis to ensure items are taxed properly according to statutes and/or regulations.
4. Works closely with business units and across Finance to ensure that systems and processes enable strategic and operational requirements and to ensure process and system changes are defined and implemented correctly.
5. Identifies tax technology needs, including process improvements and efficiencies through best practices of utilizing new technology and/or maximizing existing technology.
6. Plans for core tax system growth and works closely with IT development team. Partners with IT department to monitor software updates and maintenance.
7. Leads efforts to develop, communicate, and implement strategies and processes related to tax systems, reporting and retention, including tools used by tax department to facilitate reporting.
8. Integrates plans and expands capabilities of the Avalara and Vertex sales and use tax software engine.
9. Develops requirements and designs test scripts to thoroughly test systems for functionality. Troubleshoots system issues.
10. Leads tax incentive projects to capitalize on tax savings for the Company. Creates work plans and manages projects through to completion.
11. Documents processes and participates in data warehouse and other data retention projects.
12. Keeps supervisor informed of important developments, potential problems, and related information necessary for effective management. Coordinates and communicates plans and activities with others, as appropriate, to ensure a coordinated work effort and team approach.
13. Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
• Bachelor's degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or Information Technology.
• At least 5 years of experience with demonstrated progression of responsibilities in a combination of Indirect tax audit and Tax Technology roles, preferably within a corporate tax environment or a combination of experience within a corporate tax environment and a public accounting or consulting firm; or other relevant experience.
• At least 3 years of experience with Vertex configuration rule functionality for sales and use tax.
• Experience integrating other systems/businesses to Vertex in a project environment.
• Intermediate knowledge of general tax principles and advanced knowledge or experience with tax technology solutions.
• Preferred knowledge of SQL and SQL Developer tools; including the ability to data mine, analyze results and make recommendations.
• Strong communication skills (written, verbal and presentation).
• Experience with MS Dynamics AX, Microsoft Excel, Word, Access and Tax Software such as Vertex and Avalara.
• High level of ethics, integrity, judgment, discretion and confidentiality.
• Create and sustain good working relationships with internal and external partners.• Advanced organization and project management skills.
• Demonstrates Northern Tool + Equipment’s 12 Core Competencies.