Senior Electrical Controls Engineer - StatePoint
Senior Electrical Controls Engineer
Business Divisions: Nortek Air Solutions
Time Type: Full Time
Specific Location: Shakopee, MN
Business Unit: StatePoint Product Development and Deployment Engineering
About Nortek Air Solutions
Established in 1977, Nortek Air Solutions offers the innovation and expertise of the largest group of custom heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) brands in North America for your commercial, industrial, or institutional indoor environment. Air Solutions products are custom engineered to bring you the optimal solutions for maximizing energy efficiency, reducing annual operating costs, improving indoor air quality, and achieving low sound levels. They offer high quality systems in multiple shapes, sizes, and configurations for new construction and renovation or retrofit applications. Air Solutions is affiliated with the following industry-leading brands of HVAC solutions: Governair, Huntair, Mammoth, Temtrol, Venmar CES and Ventrol Air Handling Systems.
Why is this a great opportunity?
Our success depends on YOU! As a member of the StatePoint Technologies team:
- You are the lever to drive profitable growth and meaningful change.
- You are closest to customers/markets and understand our business.
- We move quickly. You can make the right decisions daily.
- You are where success begins and ends.
- Each of you can help make us better every day.
This position is responsible for the aspects of StatePoint Technology electrical/electronic controls development related to the design, integration, deployment and start-up of the StatePoint Technology Platform for our customers in new and renovated data-centers around the world. The position is integrated into the StatePoint Commercial Deployment Team located in Shakopee MN.
As part of the design engineering team, the Controls Engineer will be responsible to manage and execute the electrical and electronic controls system integrated into the StatePoint SPLC and FCW product development as the embedded controls platform based on customer criteria and/or the NAS standard product control platform. The responsibility included executing and managing the deployment of the control platform including panel designs, equipment selection programming, HMI system integration, sequence of control development, programming, testing and commissioning.
Direct Reporting Functions:
- Indirect, direct and subcontracted reports are expected based on project workload and may manage technical support for testing and integration.
- Works cross functionally with R&D, other controls engineers, and service to determine system control requirements for the various StatePoint products.
- Analyzes existing system (unit level) controls and evaluates the suitability of the control elements for the control system using various tools including MATLAB Simulink or other controls simulation tools.
- Develops and documents system (unit level) controls requirements based on unit performance requirements.
- Develops and documents control algorithms based on control system design.
- Designs the control systems utilizing control elements (motors, compressors, valves, dampers, pumps, actuators, sensors) used in StatePoint products.
- Evaluate, plan, and manage controls systems upgrades as needed.
- Works with and manages the lab testing of products with control elements to assure high reliability and quality of the control systems.
- Peer-reviews other control engineers work and serves as the resident expert in system design and controls architecture.
- Analyzes existing systems (unit level) and evaluates the suitability of the electrical design and components for the system.
- Develops and documents system level electrical controls requirements based on unit requirements as well as various electrical and safety codes (not limited to UL /ETL, CE and local requirements) to assure that the equipment is safe and reliable.
- Assures compliance of the electrical designs and applications to various codes.
- Develops and documents electrical controls designs for equipment applications.
- Interface with the customer and other related contractors and consultants during the facility design, construction, start-up and commissioning phases of project construction.
- Engage with a variety of controls platforms including a various industrial grade PLC and CPU components
- Other duties as assigned by the manager.
- BSEE or MSEE from an accredited university.
- 10+ years of control system development and deployment work experience with industrial or commercial products or similar work.
- Experience with control equipment suppliers including Schneider, Siemens, ABB and other industrial grade PLC platforms.
- Experience working with external controls system and panel designers, integrators and developers.
- Experience with various internal and external compliance standards (UL / ETL, CE, and other relevant standards).
- Design and integrations of large-scale HVAC/R experience desired.
- Knowledge of HVAC Sequence of Operations, Component Selection and Pricing.
- Ability to work with Bid Documents, Control Plans and Specifications.
- Understanding of HVAC Systems.
- Solid skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to communicate technically, both internally with various departments and externally with customers, as needed.
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail with effective ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines in a timeline driven environment.
- Motivated, creative, and enthusiastic to learn, and ability to work in cross-functional teams.
- Independent analysis and judgment skills in using prior experience and knowledge of company policies and procedures to resolve non-standard problems.
Nortek Air Management and its divisions offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package. To apply, please visit our career site at www.nortekair.com/careers.
Nortek Air Management is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex national origin, age disability, sexual orientation, or any other class protected by federal or state law.